Carlton star Eddie Betts has vowed to continue "educating people" despite ongoing racial attacks across his 16-year AFL career.
Betts was the subject of a vile social media post earlier this month which had depicted him as a monkey. While he considered an aggressive style of reply, the veteran forward again opted for a more constructive response.
Speaking on Fox Footy on Tuesday night, Betts said it was his duty as an Indigenous role model to try and educate those who racially attacked him so that real change could be achieved for future Indigenous AFL players.
"I was really angry and I wanted to put something up that was aggressive, but that's not my nature. I'm kind and I always like to give people a second chance and I always like to educate people," Betts told Fox Footy.
"I've got to set up barriers every day when I leave the house, thinking I'm going to get racially abused when I'm driving or when I go to a supermarket.
"I'm sick and tired of it but I want the AFL to be a safe platform for young Aboriginal kids to come and enjoy and play footy without being racially abused.
"If I have to take the full brunt of all that and try and educate people so that the platform is a safe place, I am happy to cop the brunt.
"It deeply hurts and you think to yourself 'why do I keep playing footy if I keep copping this?', but I want to make a change.
"The way to hurt these guys is keep playing great footy and keep smiling and that's what I love doing."
Betts returned to Carlton from Adelaide Crows at the start of 2020, the 33-year-old helping the Blues to their first win of the season over the weekend, a gripping two-point triumph over Geelong.