Big, big sound silenced: Tigers secure dynasty with another flag

Richmond has established itself as as one of the modern era's great teams with a crushing win over GWS in Saturday's Grand Final at the MCG.

After a tight first term, the Tigers exploded with five goals to none in the second quarter, restricting a shellshocked Giants side to just one goal at the long break, before storming away to a spectacular win.

The victory banished the memories of last year's preliminary final shocker against Collingwood, and ensured Damien Hardwick's side couldn't be accused of wasting its recent dominance with a second flag coming after 2017's triumph over Adelaide.

The final score was 17.12 (114) to 3.7 (25)

Richmond had winners across the park, with Dustin Martin, Dion Prestia and first-game dynamo Marlion Pickett immense through the midfield, Dylan Grimes, Bachar Houli and Nick Vlastuin rocks down back and Jack Riewoldt and the Tigers' fleet of small forwards firing in attack.

Martin further enhanced his big-game status by winning his second Norm Smith Medal after he shook off an early Matt de Boer tag to boot four goals from 22 touches.

The Giants' score of just 25 was the lowest in a decider since 1960 and the margin was the biggest Grand Final thrashing since Geelong's record 119-point win in 2007 over Port Adelaide.

Little went right for the Giants, although Heath Shaw, Nick Haynes and Tim Taranto would all have been able to hold their heads high after committed efforts.

It is Richmond's 12th flag, drawing them level with Melbourne in equal-fifth place.

Marlion Pickett, the story of the past two days since his debut was announced, also starred on the game's biggest stage.

The 27-year-old father of four, who did jail time as a teenager and was recruited four months ago, impressed as he became only the sixth player in AFL history to debut in a Grand Final.

Richmond endured a year full of adversity, with star defender Alex Rance missing since Round 1 because of a knee reconstruction and several other injuries to key players.

After teetering at the mid-season bye on a 7-6 record, Richmond have not missed a beat since.

By contrast, two bruising finals wins over Brisbane and Collingwood took their toll on GWS and Saturday was a bridge too far.

The Giants' first decider was in trouble even before the game started in front of 100,014 fans.

Co-captain Phil Davis was put through a fitness test an hour before the first bounce because of his sore calf.

GWS took the punt on playing him and it backfired horribly, with the key defender clearly proppy after he was hurt in last week's nailbiting preliminary-final win over Collingwood.

Davis' opponent Jack Riewoldt repeatedly had the jump on him leading for the ball and kicked five goals.

Controversial star Toby Greene also had a dirty day in his return from suspension and had minimal influence.

After a frenetic and scrambly first term, Daniel Rioli snapped accurately on the quarter-time siren to put the Tigers seven points ahead.

Rioli raised four fingers on either hand -- 44 -- as a gesture to his cousin Willie Rioli. The West Coast forward is facing two anti-doping charges.

GWS did not kick a goal from 20 minutes in the first term until 24 minutes into the third as the Tigers applied their trademark relentless pressure.

Riewoldt booted three of Richmond's five goals in the second term and, every time he led, it seemed that Davis was another metre further off his pace.

After snapping an outstanding goal early in the third quarter, Martin had another shot a few minutes later.

Instead, he squared up to find Pickett on his own and Tigers teammates mobbed him when he kicked his first AFL goal.