Clint Rice stopped mid-round, reminded alternates can't play course

UNIVERSITY PLACE, Wash. -- Australian golfer Clint Rice had to stop playing a practice round at Chambers Bay on Tuesday when a United States Golf Association official reminded him that alternates in the U.S. Open field are not permitted to do so.

Rice, a teaching pro based in Chicago, was playing with fellow Aussie and 2006 U.S. Open champion Geoff Ogilvy when he was stopped on the fourth hole. Rice had misunderstood the guideline that allows alternates to use only the practice facilities -- they cannot play on the course.

ESPN.com reported earlier that Rice was kicked off the course. Rather, his clubs were taken away.

"It's a bit silly if you're not holding anybody up or interfering with their practice," Ogilvy told the Australian Associated Press. "I get it if there are no spots available in the field but that wasn't the case here."

Rice, 34, from Tasmania, went through local and sectional qualifying and failed to earn an automatic spot, but was told by the USGA that he was one of the first alternates. The USGA does not make its alternate list public.

"What happens if he gets in on Thursday and hasn't seen the course?" Ogilvy asked.

Chambers Bay is a new venue that USGA executive director Mike Davis has said would require numerous practice rounds for players to get familiar with.