Key All Blacks to skip Rugby Championship - report

Ian Foster could be without several key playmakers for the Rugby Championship with a number of All Blacks reportedly telling NZ Rugby they do not want to be away from their young families for an extended period.

A RNZ.co.nz report on Monday suggested each of Beauden Barrett, Richie Mo'unga and TJ Perenara had expressed concerns about having to spend almost two months across the Tasman to complete the tournament.

Australia was last week awarded the right to host the tournament "hub" with matches to be played in Sydney and potentially Newcastle, with one round heading north to Brisbane.

New Zealand will host two Bledisloe Cup fixtures beforehand, the first Test either on Oct. 10 or 17, although Wallabies coach Dave Rennie is unhappy with the Oct. 10 date and the current quarantine restrictions in place across the ditch which would limit his 44-man squad to little more than seven days training, as a complete unit, before the first Test.

New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern has since move to allay Rennie's concerns, saying exceptions could be made so that the Wallabies would be able to resume full training sooner than the current framework allows.

Of the All Blacks who reportedly flagged their concerns with NZ Rugby, Perenara and Mo'unga are new first-time fathers after their wives gave birth recently while Barrett and his partner will have their first child next month. Winger Sevu Reece is in the same situation as Barrett while the report indicated there were other players concerned by the prospect of such a long period away from home.

However, Rob Nichol, the head of the New Zealand Rugby Players Association, said the players were unlikely to make a decision until they had been fully appraised of the plans.

"I'd be very surprised if any player has made a decision as yet, because they know we've got a fair bit of work to do on the details before they know what it involves," he told stuff.co.nz on Monday.

"Once we've got the full plan, that's the point when players will look at it and then take it under consideration.

"They'll be given a reasonable amount of time to mull over it and talk it through to those close to them."

Nichol was unavailable for comment when contacted by Reuters.

If both Mo'unga and Barrett were to withdraw from the tournament, Highlanders playmaker and one-Test All Blacks pivot Josh Ioane could be in line for a call-up while there is no shortage of outside back replacements to cover Reece's absence.

Foster had already been expected to expand the 36-man squad he named a week ago after New Zealand failed to secure the Rugby Championship hosting rights. Each of the All Blacks, Springboks and Pumas will be contained in their individual hubs for the duration of their time in Australia, creating a situation where added roster depth is necessary.

The Rugby Championship is due to kick-off on Nov. 7 and be played across six consecutive weekends to Dec. 12, though both Rugby Australia and NZ Rugby have indicated that the closing Tests could be brought forward, and midweek games also a possibility, to ensure All Blacks players would have time to complete quarantine on their return to New Zealand and be back with their families in time for Christmas.

Both Mo'unga and Barrett were chosen at fly-half in Ian Foster's squad, suggesting the duo will fight out the No. 10 jersey for the opening Bledisloe Cup Test in New Zealand. But losing both world-class playmakers for all six Tests of the Rugby Championship would be a significant blow, so too back-up No. 9 Perenara.