Court date set for Folau's comeback bid

The courtroom showdown between Israel Folau and the Queensland Rugby League to determine his playing future has been set down for July 12.

Backed by billionaire businessman Clive Palmer, Folau is seeking an injunction against the QRL in a bid to play for Gold Coast club the Southport Tigers.

The battle centres on the controversial dual code international's status with Super League club the Catalans Dragons.

He has "strong advice" the French-based club repudiated its contract by failing to make payments to him after December 2020, a letter from Folau's lawyer contained in court documents says.

Folau has not been included in Catalans' 2021 playing squad and there was nothing budgeted for him in the salary cap, the letter dated May 25 states.

However, the QRL last month claimed it would not accept Folau's registration until it received an official clearance.

Until it was provided by the Dragons, Folau was not entitled to apply for registration as a player, a letter from QRL lawyer John Mullins dated May 26 states.

Mr Mullins' letter also references Folau's controversial 2019 Instagram post that warned "hell awaits" drunks, homosexuals and adulterers among others.

It states "some time" has passed since the comments and the QRL intended to proceed with Folau's registration when the clearance was received.

Any breach of the governing body's code of conduct could mean suspension or cancellation of Folau's registration, the letter said.

The matter is expected to be heard on July 12 in the Brisbane Supreme Court.