Late Swifts surge earns Super Netball win over Magpies

Collingwood Magpies' Shimona Nelson catches the ball as Sarah Klau of the NSW Swifts defends Mark Evans/Getty Images

The NSW Swifts have produced an irresistible final quarter to score a 62-53 Super Netball home win over the Collingwood Magpies.

Sam Wallace scored seven straight goals to expand Sydney's lead from one to eight in a decisive surge, during which Collingwood went almost four-and-a-half minutes without scoring on Sunday.

Wallace's accuracy (46-of-48) combined with some costly Magpies turnovers effectively ended any hope the visitors had of extending their two-match win streak.

The victory at Sydney's Ken Rosewall Arena improved the Swifts record to 3-2, while Collingwood dipped to 2-3.

"Coming into this game we knew we had to win to set our season up and I think we will come good," Swifts coach Briony Akle said.

Shimona Wallace made 41 of 43 attempts for Collingwood, but Swifts goalkeeper Sarah Klau was a relentless opponent tallying six intercepts, nine gains and seven deflections.

Magpies coach Nicole Richardson agreed the final score wasn't an accurate reflection of a close game she was disappointed not to win.

"Basically the wheels fell off In the last quarter, so a really disappointing finish to the game considering I thought we had a pretty good (first) three quarters," Richardson said.

"Against a team like Swifts you've got to value the ball and not give them any opportunity, they were lethal In that last quarter."

Collingwood had started better, leading by three on a number of occasions in the first quarter, but the term finished even.

The Magpies surged to a five-goal lead halfway through the second period, but the Swifts' long-range shooting set up their 33-29 halftime advantage.

"I thought we could have been up at halftime, the five minute two-point shot killed us in the second quarter, the Swifts shot four to our none, so that probably hurt us a little bit," Richardson added.

The visitors worked their way back into the game in the third term, with Nelson again proving hard to stop and the Swifts at one stage missing three out of four shots.

Both sides also turned the ball over as the tension ratcheted up with the Swifts taking a one-goal lead into the final quarter before powering away.

"Our sports scientist guys are saying that's the highest intensity game we've had this year in the first half," Akle said.

"The intensity and deification of both teams to go out hard, is what contributed I think to both ends making mistakes or not getting a big lead."