Super Netball announces start date, aims to complete full season

Kayla Johnson of the NSW Swifts reaches out to receive a pass. James Worsfold/Getty Images

The 2020 Super Netball season will begin on August 1, with the league stating it is committed to completing a full 60-match season.

The International Quad Series, however, has been cancelled, with all four competing nations -- Australia, New Zealand, England and South Africa -- agreeing the tournament should not proceed.

Both Australia and New Zealand remain hopeful their annual Constellation Cup series will go ahead later this year.

While the fixture for the Super Netball season is still being finalised, the confirmed season start date means teams have been given the green light to begin group training together, within the government guidelines in each state, from June 1.

Clubs have agreed to training guidelines to ensure competitive balance, as well as the health and safety of all athletes and staff.

Super Netball CEO Chris Symington said the season start represented a significant step forward.

"We're thrilled that a season start date has been locked away, now all our stakeholders have a date to work towards and fans can start to get excited for the start of the season. We are planning to play out a full home and away season, and we are confident that our start date gives us the best opportunity to achieve that," he said.

"Our guiding principles throughout this process have never changed, those being the health and wellbeing of the community alongside the financial viability of our sport.

"We look forward to showcasing our world class athletes once again from August 1."

From June 1, players will continue to be paid in line with the current agreement of 12 hours per week, with full pre-season training currently earmarked for late June where athletes will return to their normal 23 hours of training a week.

Earlier this week, five international Super Netball players were given the green light to return to Australia after being granted government permission to return ahead of the season restart.

Due to the uncertainty of the COVID-19 lockdown, Super Netball gave all international players the opportunity to return to their home countries to ride out the lockdown with three players from South Africa and two from England taking up the opportunity.

Phumza Maweni (Sunshine Coast Lightning), Lenize Potgeiter and Shadine Van der Merwe (Adelaide Thunderbirds) will return from South Africa, while Nat Haythornthwaite (NSW Swifts) and Layla Guscouth (Adelaide Thunderbirds) will journey back from England.

Super Netball sought exemptions from the Australian Border Force Commissioner for the five athletes to re-enter Australia ahead of the 2020 season. The players will adhere to strict biosecurity measures on their return, including 14-day quarantine in accommodation nominated by state governments.