Bruno Silva dismissed from debut over drug test

The reason for Bruno Silva's dismissal from UFC Greenville is now clear.

USADA confirmed Friday with ESPN that Silva is facing a UFC anti-doping policy violation. Silva admitted in a statement to MMA Fighting that he failed a drug test stemming from an out-of-competition sample collected May 5 and that was why he was pulled from the event earlier this week.

The Brazilian fighter was supposed to make his UFC debut against Deron Winn on Saturday in a middleweight fight at UFC Greenville. In the statement, Silva said that he did not intentionally take a prohibited substance and is cooperating with the United States Anti-Doping Agency, the UFC's anti-doping partner, in an effort to clear his name.

"I know, without a doubt, that I did everything according to the standards established by USADA," Silva said. "I have faith in USADA that this situation will be resolved in a timely manner and that I will be cleared of any wrongdoing. For all my fans and supporters, thank you."

Silva, 29, did not disclose the banned substance that turned up in the drug test. The USADA does not specify the drug found until the conclusion of its investigation, per policy, unless the athlete divulges it first.

Winn now will face Eric Spicely on Saturday's card from South Carolina, which airs on ESPN+.

Silva (19-6) is on a four-fight winning streak and last competed in Russia's M-1 Challenge promotion.