LIVE Transfer Talk: Chelsea want Bayern's Sule to strengthen defence

The January transfer window might seem like a distant memory, but that doesn't mean the rumour mill has shut down! Speculation over summer moves is heating up, so check out the latest gossip below, and see all official deals here.

TOP STORY: Sule could leave Bayern Chelsea

Bayern Munich defender Niklas Sule is at the top of Chelsea manager Thomas Tuchel's wish list to bolster his defence this summer, according to The Athletic.

Sule is out of contract with Bayern at the end of next season, with club chief Karl-Heinz Rummenigge previously stating that the two parties would sit down for talks over a new deal in the summer.

The Germany international's fellow centre-back, Jerome Boateng, will leave the club as a free agent this summer, while David Alaba is also set to depart when his contract expires at the end of June. Bayern have already announced that Dayot Upamecano will arrive from RB Leipzig this summer.

All of the upheaval in the squad and the expected changes in the dugout, with coach Hansi Flick leaving the club at the end of the season, and his own contract situation could convince Sule that is it time to move on, and Chelsea are ready to take advantage.

The Athletic reports that Tuchel has informed Chelsea that signing a centre-back is one of his summer priorities, and the former Dortmund coach has identified Sule as one of the players who could help him mount a Premier League title challenge next season.

- Stream ESPN FC Daily on ESPN+ (U.S. only)
- ESPN+ viewer's guide: Bundesliga, Serie A, MLS, FA Cup and more

LIVE BLOG

21.47 BST: Twenty-seven-year-old Stade Rennes forward and former France youth international Adrien Hunou is set to join MLS side Minnesota United for a fee of €3m, L'Equipe reports.

19.00 BST: TSG Hoffenheim are in negotiations with Bayern Munich to extend the loan deal for 21-year-old United States centre-back Chris Richards beyond the end of this season - or, ideally, sign him permanently - according to Kicker.

16.13 BST: Arsenal striker Alexandre Lacazette says that now is not "the right moment" to talk about his future at the club despite approaching the final year of his contract.

Lacazette, 29, has a deal that runs until 2022, and as yet there is not the offer of an extension on the table.

The Frenchman said after Sunday's 1-1 draw with Fulham: "My plan is to win a trophy with the club this season and it would be easy for me to pretend to have a contract extension. "Everything is not only on my side, there is also the club, the manager. There are different things we have to think about. "I don't think it's the right moment to talk about it."

15.17 BST: Tottenham forward Steven Bergwijn have attracted attention from plenty of clubs willing to sign him, according to The Athletic.

Bergwijn got his Tottenham career off to the best possible start following his £27.5m move from PSV Eindhoven in January 2020, when he scored on his debut in a 2-0 win over Manchester City.

However, since then he has only scored two more goals and had become an increasingly peripheral figure in the first team.

The Athletic reports that Spurs have fielded several approaches from clubs interested in signing the Netherlands international on either a loan or permanent basis.

13.21 BST: Manchester United, Liverpool and Chelsea are all in the race to sign Real Madrid defender Raphael Varane this summer, according to AS.

The France international has one year left on his contract with Real Madrid and has not signed a new deal to remain at the Bernabeu stadium.

Varane reportedly wants to leave Los Blancos at the end of this season to seek a new experience and the Premier League would be his preferred choice.

Real Madrid are now hoping to recoup a transfer fee of €70m for the 27-year-old this summer instead of seeing him leave as a free agent in 2022.

12.15 BST: Julian Nagelsmann has reiterated he has not been in contact with Bayern Munich over the soon-to-be-vacant position in the Allianz Arena dugout.

At the weekend, Hansi Flick announced what seemed inevitable had seen coming ever since a power struggle between the Bayern coach and Bayern sporting executive Hasan Salihamidzic became apparent. The 56-year-old told reporters he wants out of his contract at Bayern Munich this summer. And while Bayern have disapproved the "unilateral communications issued by Hansi Flick," they must now prepare for a future without their Champions League-winning coach.

Bavaria-born Nagelsmann is the favourite to succeed Flick, but speaking to reporters ahead of RB Leipzig's match at Cologne the 33-year-old reiterated he has not been in contact with Bayern.

"On Twitter, I saw a few funny messages by our fans which journalist will be the first to ask a question on yesterday's hotspot topic, that's why I'll answer that before we start. Nothing has happened since the last presser," Nagelsmann said at the start of his news conference.

Last Wednesday, Nagelsmann said "there have been no talks and there are no talks" with Bayern, who have also not been talking to his agents, according to the Leipzig coach.

On Sunday, he added there has also been no offer from Bayern and said that he does not know what Bayern want. "I have said that I will not go on war with RB," he explained.

11.09 BST: Tottenham have sacked Jose Mourinho after 17 months in charge, the club have confirmed. Spurs announced the decision on Monday morning, less than 12 hours after confirming they will be founder members of a new European Super League alongside five other English clubs including Chelsea, Arsenal, Manchester United and Liverpool.

Tottenham chairman Daniel Levy said: "Jose and his coaching staff have been with us through some of our most challenging times as a club. Jose is a true professional who showed enormous resilience during the pandemic.

"On a personal level I have enjoyed working with him and regret that things have not worked out as we both had envisaged. He will always be welcome here and we should like to thank him and his coaching staff for their contribution."

Tottenham are seventh in the Premier League, five points adrift of the top four, and face Manchester City in the Carabao Cup final on Sunday (stream LIVE at 11:30 a.m. ET on ESPN+ in the U.S.).

Mourinho had lost 13 games in all competitions this season, more than any other in his managerial career, and sources told ESPN that several squad members had grown frustrated by his willingness to publicly criticise the players after defeats.

play
1:13

Laurens: Mourinho is finished as a club manager

Julien Laurens believes Jose Mourinho is no longer a viable choice for top clubs after his time at Spurs.

10.13 BST: Juventus sporting director Fabio Paratici has justified Cristiano Ronaldo's wages at the club. The Turin giants are looking to balance their books following a difficult year due to the coronavirus pandemic but Ronaldo's reported €30m-net-per season at Juventus is not up for debate.

"Last week, I said we must be responsible for what we're doing. We are facing a period of uncertainty," Paratici said. "Cristiano is not just a footballer and an athlete, but also a personality of the highest level, so his salary reflects many things that go beyond his goals, his performances.

"Above all, it reflects what he represents for a club and for millions of fans. Research shows he is the most known person in the world. His case is different from others, it's only for a few athletes that I called planet personalities, that go beyond the logic of football and sport."

Ronaldo, 36, has one year left on his contract with Juventus. The Portugal captain, who has scored 32 goals in 37 appearances for Juve this season, was rested for Sunday's 1-0 defeat at Atalanta.

09.16 BST: Real Madrid or Barcelona should be Pau Torres' destination if he does leave Villarreal, according to his coach Unai Emery.

Torres, 24, has made 27 league appearances for Villarreal and has earned a spot in Spain's national team following his strong performances.

"We are proud that Atletico Madrid, Real Madrid and Barcelona want Villarreal players," Emery said. "More so if it's Pau Torres as he is from here (Villarreal). If he leaves, he has to go to Real Madrid or Barcelona."

Real Madrid are reportedly monitoring Torres to strengthen their defensive line with the futures of both Sergio Ramos and Raphael Varane at the club uncertain. Neither Ramos nor Varane have signed a contract extension with their contracts expiring this summer and in 2022, respectively.

Torres has a contract with Villarreal that runs until 2024. Villarreal would reportedly hope for a transfer fee of €65m if he were to leave.

08.30 BST: Lionel Messi's father and agent, Jorge, arrived in Barcelona from Argentina on Sunday with the forward's future at the Catalan club still undecided.

A source told ESPN that Messi Sr. plans to travel on to Italy this week to deal with some "personal issues" and that no talks have yet been scheduled with Barca.

A meeting with new Barcelona president Joan Laporta has not yet been ruled out, but no date has been fixed to begin negotiations over a potential new deal for Messi.

Messi's current terms expire in June, when he turns 34, and he has said that he will wait until the end of the season before deciding on his future.

PAPER GOSSIP

- Zenit St Petersburg are interested in Barcelona defender Samuel Umtiti, according to journalist Matteo Moretto. The Catalan outfit are looking to move on the 27-year-old, who joined in 2016 but has been out of favour under Ronald Koeman, making only 10 La Liga appearances this season and only 13 across all competitions. Young centre-back Oscar Mingueza and Umtiti's compatriot Clement Lenglet have been regular picks under Koeman since his arrival. According to Fabrizio Romano, though, Umtiti is not convinced by Zenit and will await different bids.

- Leeds United are set to make a move for Rangers wide-man Ryan Kent this summer reports The Sun's Alan Nixon. The 24-year-old was a target for Marcelo Bielsa twice before, according to the report, the highest offer of £11 million was eventually rejected by Steven Gerrard. Leeds may be forced to offer as much as £15m if they are to secure the signature of the former Liverpool man.

- Several Premier League clubs are keeping an eye on Chelsea striker Tammy Abraham, according to Sky Sports. The 23-year-old was one of many players to come through the successful academy that the Blues have setup. However, after his most recent exclusion from an FA Cup semifinal tie against Manchester City, the England striker could be on his way out of the capital in a move to get more playing time.

- A host of European clubs have been dealt a blow in the race to sign Lionel Messi this summer as Barcelona prepare to begin talks over the Argentine's future. Barca president Joan Laporta is ready to open talks with Messi in the next few days after his father, Jorge Messi, arrived in Spain on Sunday. Manchester City and PSG are just two of a number of clubs linked with the 33-year-old.

- AC Milan have been linked with a move for Sassuolo striker Gianluca Scamacca, according to Spanish outlet AS. The 22-year-old, on-loan at Genoa, played against the Rossoneri on Sunday where he scored an unfortunate own goal that gave Milan a 2-1 victory. The Italian has already voiced his idolisation of Zlatan Ibrahimovic, who could be a big draw if the striker is lined up to replace the 39-year-old.

- Real Madrid are preparing a double swoop for Kylian Mbappe and Erling Haaland, according to AS. The Spanish side is said to be keen on both players, but await specific circumstances for both moves with Mbappe planned for this summer and Haaland for the next. In the upcoming transfer window, Real plan to bid for Mbappe says the report, and they expect the France international to inform PSG that he does not wish to renew his contract which expires next year.