The coronavirus pandemic has made the transfer market uncertain -- and you can find out when the windows open and close here -- but here are the rumours floating around Europe's big leagues and beyond.
TOP STORY: Barcelona agree terms with Lyon winger Depay
Depay, 26, has one year left on his contract and told NOS earlier this week that "I never said I want to leave ... I feel good about myself but also have my dreams. I have always expressed that too." Lyon reached the semifinals of the Champions League last season but missed out on Europe after only securing a seventh-place finish in Ligue 1, and talk of a €40m move for Depay has increased,
Elsewhere, Koeman has insisted that Barcelona sign Georginio Wijnaldum, sources have told ESPN's Alex Kirkland and Moises Llorens, and wants the club to do whatever it takes to land the Liverpool midfielder.
22.23 BST: Arsenal have re-signed Real Madrid midfielder Dani Ceballos on loan, the club announced on Friday.
The 24-year-old spent the 2019-20 season with Arsenal and made clear that he wanted another season with the north London side. Sources told ESPN that Mikel Arteta had been in regular contact with Ceballos during the summer break and it was a combination of that and his friendship with a number of his teammates that convinced him to stay with the Gunners. Read the full story.
🗞 Dani Ceballos has rejoined us for a second successive season-long loan from Real Madrid!— Arsenal (@Arsenal) September 4, 2020
21.53 BST: According to Marca, Javi Martinez has agreed personal terms with former club Athletic Bilbao, who seek to re-sign the 32-year-old for less than €10m while Bayern Munich are asking for €12m to part with the holding midfielder/centre-back. Amid that deadlock, the report suggests that Martinez likely will play out the final year of his contract at Allianz Arena before returning to the Basque club he left for Bayern in 2012.
21.18 BST: Bild reports that despite earning €53m from the sale of Timo Werner, RB Leipzig have just €20m to spend this summer, and somehow intend to use that amount to sign Angelino permanently following his successful loan spell from Manchester City, as well as Werder Bremen forward Milot Rashica and Tabzonspor striker Alexander Sorloth.
20.08 BST: It's all over, folks. Months after news first emerged of their interest in the player, Chelsea have announced the signing of 21-year-old attacking prodigy Kai Havertz from Bayer Leverkusen in a deal worth €80m plus €20m in add-ons. Read the full story.
19.45 BST: Valencia are unable to complete any signings until they find a buyer for goalkeeper Jasper Cillessen as the club continue its drastic cutting of its wage bill, with Super Deporte writing that a return to Ajax Amsterdam is the preference of the Netherlands No. 1. However, unless Andre Onana leaves the club, that's unlikely, with Everton, Aston Villa, Schalke 04, Bayer Leverkusen and Hertha Berlin all said to be interested in the 31-year-old.
18.58 BST: Mundo Deportivo writes that Samuel Umtiti is another player Barcelona are keen to move on from this summer - in addition to Luis Suarez, Ivan Rakitic and Arturo Vidal - and cites Cadena Ser as reporting that the Catalan club are considering allowing the 26-year-old centre-back to leave on a free transfer in order to get the often-injured France international's wages off their books.
Lionel Messi staying at Barca 'a massive miscalculation'
Lionel Messi has announced his decision to remain at Barcelona next season, but why?
17.24 BST: Will he? Won't he?
16.37 BST: Sevilla FC are keen to bring Sergio Reguilon back to the Sanchez Pizjuan following his successful season on loan in Andalusia but can't afford Real Madrid's €30m asking price. However, according to Marca, Julen Lopetegui's side are considering taking the 23-year-old left-back on loan for a second season, with an option to make the move permanent for as much as €20m.
15.50 BST: Barcelona striker Luis Suarez has agreed to join Juventus, sources have told ESPN's Andrew Cesare Richardson.
ESPN reported earlier this week that Italian champions Juve were in talks to sign the 33-year-old Uruguay international but expected a deal to be "difficult."
However, Suarez, who is the third-highest scorer in Barcelona's history is now set to depart for Serie A with reports claiming he will move for a nominal fee and link up with Cristiano Ronaldo in Turin.
15.33 BST: Ajax and USMNT full-back Sergino Dest has to work hard if he wants that big move.
Did Bayern & Barcelona rumours cost Dest his starting role?
Jan Joost Van Gangelen says Sergino Dest needs to be more consistent to regain his starting role at Ajax.
14.56 BST: USMNT head coach Gregg Berhalter has said he thinks Christian Pulisic has what it takes to play for Real Madrid and Barcelona.
Pulisic has enjoyed a successful first year in the Premier League following his €64m transfer from Borussia Dortmund to Chelsea in 2019.
"At 21, he is a leader at Chelsea," he told Sport Bild. "It doesn't happen that often that a Bundesliga player moves to England and immediately convinces there ...
"If he can keep this level, he can play for the world's biggest clubs like Bayern Munich, Barcelona or Real Madrid."
14.30 BST: TyCSports claims that Lionel Messi has decided to stay at Barcelona ... watch this space.
14.18 BST: Manchester United's hopes of making a breakthrough in their attempts to sign Borussia Dortmund's Jadon Sancho hinge on reaching a compromise over wages and agent fees, sources have told ESPN's Rob Dawson.
United continued to work on a deal for Sancho while also securing the services of Ajax midfielder Donny van de Beek for £40m. The Dutchman became Ole Gunnar Solskjaer's first signing of the summer when he was unveiled on Wednesday. Sancho remains the club's top summer target but fees requested by agents and intermediaries, plus Sancho's wage demands, continue to be a stumbling block.
United have also told Dortmund they believe Sancho's €120m valuation is "unrealistic" during the coronavirus pandemic but are willing to put together a structured payment plan if progress with the winger's representatives can be made.
14.07 BST: What could Manchester City target Kalidou Koulibaly bring to the club?
Koulibaly would bring 'a ton of charisma' to Man City
Gab Marcotti outlines why Kalidou Koulibaly is appealing to Manchester City amid transfer links.
13.36 BST: Don't you just love it when your father comes to the rescue?
Jorge Messi quotes a clause in his son's contract which states that "this compensation will not apply when the resolution of the contract, by the unilateral decision of the player, takes effect from the end of the 2019-20 sporting season."
He added: "It's obvious that the compensation of €700m... does not apply at all."
Jorge Messi replies to La Liga saying he has no idea what contract they have analysed and that the €700m release clause is no longer active if contract unilaterally ended after 19-20 season, via @RodrigoFaez pic.twitter.com/6v3Ci24RNW— Samuel Marsden (@samuelmarsden) September 4, 2020
La Liga then announce that the €700m buyout clause in Messi's contract is still valid, saying: "They have made a decontextualised interpretation and moved away from the literality of the contract."
13.15 BST: Arsenal confirmed the signing of Brazilian centre-back Gabriel Magalhaes from Lille for around €30m on Tuesday. Tor-Kristian Karlsen, a Norwegian football scout and executive, tells us what to expect.
While Gabriel was prone to committing errors in his early matches for Lille, like losing possession in his own half and giving away fouls due to excessive physical play, he has been developing on a monthly basis to the point where it's now hard to identify any obvious shortcomings in his game. Perhaps you can find more elegant, "ball playing" centre-backs or those with a more useful weaker foot, but that's still of no particular detriment to Gabriel.
12.30 BST: Moneyball guru Billy Beane has bought a minority share in Eredivisie side AZ Alkmaar.
Beane, executive vice president of Major League Baseball's (MLB) Oakland Athletics, has bought a 5% share in Alkmaar, strengthening his ties with the Dutch club having previously acted in an advisory role.
"I am honored to formalize my role with AZ and take this next step in being part of the future of the club," Beane said in a statement. "Working alongside Robert [Eenhoorn, AZ's general manager] and the rest of the group here over the last five years has been an incredible experience for me and this agreement ensures the relationship will continue for the foreseeable future. I'm proud of all the club has accomplished in recent years and cannot wait to get started working on the future of AZ."
12.21 BST: Lionel Messi is unlikely to stay at Barcelona, despite reports of a possible U-turn, according to club presidential hopeful Victor Font.
"It would be a surprise because it seems his decision is firm," Font said. "It would be a very positive surprise. But, as I've always said until it is done there is always hope, so let's keep hoping this will be the case."
11.48 BST: Two from Sky Sports:
- Bournemouth have rejected an offer between £13m-£15m for striker Callum Wilson from Aston Villa.
- Fulham are in talks with Torino over a season-long loan for former Chelsea full-back Ola Aina.
11.27 BST: What's up with Everton right now? Allan and James Rodriguez should be arriving shortly...
Marcotti: Everton's transfer targets 'kind of weird'
ESPN FC's Gab Marcotti doesn't fully comprehend Carlo Ancelotti's transfer strategy at Everton.
11.21 BST: Bayer Leverkusen have an update.
A statement on Twitter read: "Kai Havertz has left the Stuttgart headquarters of the German national team to clarify matters surrounding a potential move to Chelsea. This took place after a discussion with Bayer 04 and DFB leadership."
Havertz, 21, will undergo a medical today with Chelsea on the verge of completing an €80m move (plus €20m in add-ons) that will see the midfielder sign a five-year contract at Stamford Bridge.
The medical is not expected to raise any issues and the Blues are set to confirm Havertz as a Chelsea player by the end of the week, taking their summer spending spree past £200m with the acquisitions of Hakim Ziyech, Timo Werner and Ben Chilwell in addition to free signings Thiago Silva and Malang Sarr.
It is, however, at this stage unclear when Havertz could make his Chelsea debut given the quarantine situation involving Switzerland, who Germany face in the Nations League on Sunday.
10.50 BST: Manchester United's interest in Bayern Munich midfielder Thiago triggers an unwanted reminder to some at Old Trafford of the club's first attempt to sign the player seven years ago, only for a deal to be vetoed by then-manager David Moyes.
Prior to announcing his retirement as United manager in May 2013, Sir Alex Ferguson had set up a £17m transfer for Thiago, then 22, after being made aware of his desire to leave Barcelona to secure first-team football. With Ferguson standing down in favour of Moyes, however, the final decision on Thiago was left to the new man following his arrival from Everton.
Moyes instead signed Marouane Fellaini from his former club on transfer deadline day.
10.09 BST: Alexis Sanchez has said he wanted to rip up his contract after one training session at Manchester United. The Chile international also said he only moved to Old Trafford in January 2018 after an agreement with Manchester City fell through.
"I accepted the opportunity to go to United, it felt tempting and it was something good for me, I liked this club a lot when I was a kid," Sanchez said in a video on Instagram. "Eventually, I signed but I didn't ask for information on what was happening inside the club. Sometimes there are things that you don't realise until you get there and I remember the first training session I had, I realised a lot of things.
"After the session I got home and I told my family and my agent: 'Can you not rip up the contract to go back to Arsenal?' They laughed, I told them there's something that doesn't sit right, it doesn't seem good.
"But I already signed, I was already there. After the first few months I carried on having the same feeling, we weren't united as a team in that moment."
Marcotti: Chelsea should never let Kante go
Gab Marcotti outlines the impact N'Golo Kante has on the pitch for Chelsea and explains why he could be up for sale.
09.00 BST: ESPN's Insider Notebook is live and there's plenty of transfer news to follow, including:
- Manchester United manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has told executive vice-chairman Ed Woodward to value dressing room harmony over transfer business as the club continue to deal with the fall-out from Alexis Sanchez's disastrous move, sources have told ESPN's Rob Dawson.
- Real Madrid are considering a second round of temporary wage cuts for players as the club assesses the long-term financial impact of the coronavirus pandemic, sources have told ESPN's Alex Kirkland and Rodrigo Faez.
08.26 BST: It's been a whirlwind couple of weeks in the European soccer universe, with teams attempting to cram a full offseason's worth of both transfers and transfer rumors into the shortest offseason ever. But as moves have become official, they have created a few particularly interesting position battles among the top teams on the continent.
08.00 BST: Barcelona are not ruling out that Lionel Messi will see out the final year of his contract at the club after a meeting with the Argentina forward's father, sources have told ESPN's Moises Llorens and Rodrigo Faez.
Jorge Messi met with club president Josep Maria Bartomeu on Wednesday to discuss his son's desire to leave Camp Nou.
The talks came after a week-long stalemate which began with Messi's bid to unilaterally rescind his Barca contract on Aug. 25, believing that a clause enabled him to leave for free.
Will Luis Suarez & Chiellini make amends at Juve?
The FC boys assess Luis Suarez possibly joining Juve and how he'll mend his relationship with Giorgio Chiellini.
PAPER TALK (by Nick Judd)
Juventus trying to navigate passport saga with Suarez
The Italian journalist reports that Juve, Barca and the player himself are working together to help ensure the deal goes ahead, with Barca in particular keen to remove the Uruguayan's salary from their wage bill.
Di Marzio also revealed that a potential passport issue has been identified, with Juve already having filled their quota of non-EU citizens.
Suarez might need to cancel his Barca contract and take a work contract in Italy, which would then ease the issue and see him awarded a passport within 15 days. However, Juve don't see this is a deal-breaker. The bigger issue, they feel, is Suarez's severance pay, which could prove too costly.
Manchester United preparing fresh bid for Jadon Sancho
Manchester United are preparing to submit a new bid for Jadon Sancho, according to the Daily Mail.
United have been linked with Sancho all year in one of 2020's longest-running transfer sagas, but the England international's €120 million move to Old Trafford had gone quiet, particularly following the Reds' signing of Donny van de Beek.
Until now, that is. Sources had told ESPN's Mark Ogden that an inability to agree personal terms with the player and negotiate an agent fee with his representative was holding up a deal butm apparently, Man United are finalising those details now before approaching Borussia Dortmund with an official bid.
United are looking to capitalise on the momentum gained by the signing of Van de Beek, who signed for €45m earlier this week. And now they'll seek out Sancho's agent, Emeka Obasi -- who looks after the likes of Bukayo Saka, Todd Cantwell and Eddie Nketiah -- to help them seal the deal.
Arsenal's Torreira to sign for Fiorentina
Torreira struggled to cement a starting place in Mikel Arteta's side last season, as the Uruguayan made just 17 starts.
Arteta is keen to raise some cash in an effort to continue to rebuild his Gunners side ahead of the new season, with Atletico Madrid's Thomas Partay and Lyon's Houssem Aouar at the top of his wishlist.
Fiorentina are willing to pay £8m for the 24-year-old this season, with the option of a further £16m next summer.
- Tottenham Hotspur have made a formal offer for Barcelona B star Lucas de Vega, but it looks as though the Blaugrana will be keeping their Brazilian rising star. Sport is reporting that Barca see the midfielder as one of the key players for Barca B this season. Spurs were reported to have offered €2m, and Barca are looking for double that amount.
- AC Milan are looking for goalkeeping backup following Pepe Reina's move to Lazio, and Sport believes that the Rossoneri are considering a move for Barca stopper Neto. Neto won two Scudetti as backup to Gianluigi Buffon at Juventus, and he has also played for Valencia and Fiorentina. Neto was looking to leave Barca before the pandemic, but the Catalans will want to replace him before they consider allowing him to leave Camp Nou.