TOP STORY: Man United eye Douglas Costa as Sancho alternative
Manchester United have long been linked with a move for Borussia Dortmund winger Jadon Sancho. In fact, Aug. 10 is reportedly the deadline day in that regard, with the 20-year-old travelling to Dortmund's training camp in Switzerland, meaning he likely won't be joining United this summer in a €120 million deal.
Sources have told ESPN's Rob Dawson that United will not be rushed by the Aug. 10 deadline imposed by Dortmund for an agreement to be reached. However, United still need some depth on the wings so Tuttosport reports they are keen to sign Juventus' Douglas Costa if they can't land Sancho. The Brazilian started only six league games all season as the Old Lady won the Scudetto and is keen to move for regular football.
Juve sacked manager Maurizio Sarri and replaced him with Andrea Pirlo this weekend, having failed to progress in the Champions League, and Costa could be allowed to leave as Pirlo plans a rejuvenation of the squad, with midfielders Blaise Matuidi and Sami Khedira also set to depart.
Costa joined Juve from Bayern Munich in 2017 on loan, then signed for €40m the following summer. Though, at 29, he won't command the same fee now.
22.46 BST: Dani Parejo isn't the only Valencia midfielder preparing to leave for Villarreal, with AS writing that 29-year-old former Arsenal man Francis Coquelin was set to undergo his medical at the Cermaica on Monday before sealing a €12m switch to the Yellow Submarine.
21.59 BST: Independiente are "very close" to selling Paraguay winger Cecilio Dominguez to MLS for $4m, according to ESPN's Cesar Caballero, with Dominguez's agent confirming to Austin-based journalist Chris Bils last week that he is in talks with Austin FC, set to join the league in 2021. According to Caballero, the operation for the 25-year-old would help the Argentine club pay off an outstanding debt with Mexico's Club America, where Dominguez used to play, although Las Aguilas would still have to agree to a payment method.
21.12 BST: With seemingly no future at Chelsea, Tiemoue Bakayoko wants to return to AC Milan, where he spent the 2018-19 season on loan, and is willing to halve his annual salary from €6m to €3m in order to facilitate the move, Gazzetta dello Sport reports. Now it's down to the clubs to agree a fee, with the Rossoneri apparently willing to offer €15m but the London outfit asking for closer to €20m for the 25-year-old.
20.25 BST: Arsenal are looking to raise transfer funds through player sales, and according to Sky Sports, one player they could be willing to part with is Ainsley Maitland-Niles. The versatile 22-year-old - who can play as a full-back, wing-back, midfielder or winger - has three years remaining on his contract as is said to be interesting three unnamed clubs: two in the Premier League and one in the Bundesliga.
19.38 BST: AS writes that Valencia captain Dani Parejo entered the club's facilities for the final time on Monday morning to undergo medical exams and COVID-19 testing before the 31-year-old midfielder moves to regional rivals Villarreal in a deal worth "closer to €10m than €20m."
18.51 BST: Between the allure of returning to the Champions League and an offer of annual wages approaching €3m, 29-year-old forward Mario Balotelli is closing in on a move to the Turkish Super Lig with Besiktas, according to Corriere dello Sport.
#Villarreal and @realmadriden have reached an agreement 🤝 for the loan of Takefusa Kubo.— Villarreal CF English (@Eng_Villarreal) August 10, 2020
Welcome to Villarreal, Take! 💛👏
17.17 BST: While Southampton's interest in 21-year-old midfielder Weston McKennie has been known for some time, Bild reports that Hertha Berlin are already well underway in negotiations with Schalke 04 to bring the United States international to the German capital, and adding that AS Monaco are also interested in the FC Dallas academy product.
16.30 BST: ICYMI - ESPN's Insider Notebook on Friday had these transfer nuggets.
- Cristiano Ronaldo has been linked with a move to Paris Saint-Germain this summer but sources have told ESPN's Julien Laurens that the club prefer to extend Kylian Mbappe and Neymar's contracts rather than finally sign a player they have coveted for years.
- Chelsea and Inter Milan have shown an interest in Marc-Andre ter Stegen's situation at Barcelona with the goalkeeper into the final two years of his contract, sources have told ESPN's Samuel Marsden and Moises Llorens.
- Pep Guardiola wants a new striker at Manchester City, with sources telling ESPN's Mark Ogden that he is unconvinced that Gabriel Jesus can become a long-term replacement for Sergio Aguero.
- Manchester United are monitoring the progress of Napoli goalkeeper Alex Meret, sources have told ESPN's Mark Ogden, with the Old Trafford club determined to have an array of options should either David De Gea or Dean Henderson move away from the club in the next 12 months.
15.38 BST: New Benfica manager Jorge Jesus claims Gremio forward Everton Soares is a target, but the club faces competition for his signature.
"It is true that I called the player," Jesus told Record about the Brazilian. "He is one of the important targets for Benfica, not only because of his quality -- he is a starter for Brazil too. There was also interest from [Premier League team] Everton and a German team.
"I looked to convince him to come to Benfica, which is a great club, with a national and European project with other great players to attack all competition. I tried to convince him to come work with me."
14.57 BST: Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang is set to hand Arsenal boss Mikel Arteta a major boost by signing a new £250,000-a-week deal tying him to the club until 2023, sources have told ESPN's James Olley.
Talks have progressed well and, although there are still some minor issues to be addressed, sources said that official confirmation of the new contract could come as early as this week.
14.32 BST: Napoli are under pressure to sell players, having spent €180m in 2020. Arkadiusz Milik is one of the club's main assets, as he has a contract which expires in 2021 and has little desire to sign a new one.
Milik is valued at €40m and has Juventus and Tottenham watching him, according to Gazzetta dello Sport.
14.06 BST: Mesut Ozil hasn't made much of an impression at Arsenal recently, but his social media activity suggests that he might not be a problem for them much longer.
Ozil, 31, was pictured alongside Istanbul Basaksehir boss Okan Buruk at the weekend. Buruk, a former Turkey international, and Ozil were both together on the Instagram Story of Turkish television personality Acun Ilicali, which will send fans into overdrive over a possible move.
Basaksehir won the Turkish title last month and have a host of former Premier League stars on their books notably: Robinho, Demba Ba, Gael Clichy and Martin Skrtel.
14.00 BST: Manchester City have signed U.S. Women's National Team midfielder and 2019 World Cup champion Sam Mewis on a permanent deal from the North Carolina Courage, the club announced on Monday.
The length of the deal is undisclosed but sources have told ESPN that Mewis will be at the club for the "foreseeable future."
13.44 BST: David Beckham's Inter Miami are on the verge of signing World Cup winner Blaise Matuidi from Juventus.
Matuidi, 33, has been in Turin since 2017, after six years with PSG (where he briefly played with Beckham in 2013), and RMC reports that the midfielder is now set to head to MLS.
Sources have told ESPN's Julien Laurens that Matuidi undergo his medical in Paris before signing a three-year contract with the club. He has taken a pay cut to secure the move and has spoken to Beckham over the phone as well as with Diego Alonso, the Inter Miami manager.
13.27 BST: Speaking of Juve, the club clearly aren't interested in Chelsea midfielder Jorginho now that Maurizio Sarri has been sacked so they are turning their attention to 'the next Andrea Pirlo', a Brescia wonderkid by the name of Sandro Tonali.
Tuttosport reports that Tonali, 20, is on the radar of Juve, along with Manchester United, AC Milan and Inter.
13.05 BST: Juventus have a new manager and they could have a very different team next season.
Real Madrid stars Toni Kroos or Isco could move to Turin if Juve allow Paulo Dybala to move the Santiago Bernabeu, according to SportMediaset.
12.33 BST: Barcelona will try to re-sign Manchester City defender Eric Garcia this summer, but sources have told ESPN's Moises Llorens and Sam Marsden that the club are unlikely to pay in excess of €15m for a player who is out of contract next summer.
Barca would prefer to bring Garcia in during the summer transfer window but face a number of obstacles when it comes to getting a deal over the line.
Their transfer budget has been wiped out by the coronavirus pandemic and they will only be able to spend on transfers what they make in sales, while they must also make space in the squad by moving on Samuel Umtiti and Jean-Clair Todibo.
ESPN first reported Barca's interest in re-signing Garcia, who left the club for Man City in 2017, on June 2. City have subsequently tried to get Garcia to commit to a new deal, with his terms expiring in 2021, but Pep Guardiola confirmed last week that the 19-year-old has decided not to extend his contract.
11.58 BST: Inter Milan have made a bit of a habit of signing Manchester United players recently ... and now they're keen on another.
Chris Smalling impressed on loan at Roma last season but the two clubs couldn't agree to make it permanent. And now Inter are interested, with SportMediaset reporting they will stump up the required €20m (plus €5m add-ons) for the 30-year-old.
That may mean Inter are ready to move on one of their defenders Milan Skriniar or Diego Godin as a result.
11.16 BST: Chelsea have made moves in attack with Timo Werner and Hakim Ziyech, plus a potential deal for Kai Havertz, but it's in defence where they need a top player.
10.50 BST: Bournemouth midfielder David Brooks has a number of clubs interested in him, says the Daily Star.
Brooks, 23, is likely to leave Bournemouth after they were relegated and the Wales midfielder has drawn attention from Liverpool, Everton, Tottenham and West Ham.
Bournemouth are looking for around £35m for the midfielder, with Liverpool reportedly most interested as they seek replacements for Xherdan Shaqiri and Adam Lallana.
10.24 BST: Tottenham are set to make their first move in the transfer market this summer as Southampton midfielder Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg will have a medical on Monday, says Sky Sports.
Hojbjerg will cost £15m, plus add-ons, while Spurs full-back Kyle Walker-Peters is heading to the south coast to make his loan deal permanent for around £12m.
09.57 BST: Newly promoted Bundesliga side Arminia Bielefeld are among a host of clubs chasing Chelsea youngster Conor Gallagher, according to kicker.
The 20-year-old midfielder spent the 2019-20 season on loan with Charlton and Swansea, making a total of 48 competitive appearances for the two Championship clubs. And those performances have now brought Gallagher to the attention of Arminia Bielefeld, the German side who will play their first Bundesliga campaign since the 2008-2009 season.
09.45 BST: Lautaro Martinez's agent, Beto Yaque, has played down talks of his client joining Barcelona this summer.
The Inter Milan forward is a target of Barca but his release clause of €111m expired last month. And talks between Inter and Barca regarding Martinez's potential arrival to Camp Nou have been put on hold until the end of the season.
"The Lautaro transfer is more a media thing," Yaque said. "Lautaro has three years left on his contract with Inter and is very happy where he is.
"Lautaro still has the Europa League to come and I hope Inter can get to the final. That's the big thing right now. Fortunately, he's had a very good season and he's still got the Europa League left. I hope he can go all the way to the final with Inter."
09.22 BST: Olympiakos left-back Kostas Tsimikas is set to join Liverpool for around €13m, says the Liverpool Echo.
Tsimikas, 24, has yet to agree personal terms but Liverpool are confident of landing the Greece international, who would play as a backup to first-choice Andy Robertson.
"Cavani is a player that has various offers on the market and he is thinking about his options," Jesus, hired last month from Brazilian giants Flamengo, told reporters. "If you ask me do I want him? Who wouldn't want him? Not just for Benfica but for Portuguese football. We know it's not easy financially. The president is doing all they can for it to happen."
In late July, the Bundesliga side managed to tie the 21-year-old centre-back to a new deal to avoid losing him on a free transfer in 2021, when his old contract was set to expire.
German magazine kicker on Monday reported that clubs willing to sign the France under-21 international next summer will have to pay €42m for Upamecano, whose release clause was at €60m before the new deal was signed.
08.00 BST: Willian will end his seven-year spell at Chelsea this summer, the player announced on social media on Sunday.
The Brazil international had been in talks over a new contract at Stamford Bridge but negotiations broke down over the length of his deal.
Sources have told ESPN's Tom Hamilton that the 32-year-old has agreed a three-year deal at Arsenal worth around £100,000-a-week.
Between the two of them, Willian and Pedro won three Premier League titles, the Europa League, the FA Cup and the League Cup during his time at Chelsea.
PAPER TALK (by James Capps)
Otamendi exit nears as City slash price
Manchester City defender Nicolas Otamendi could be a step closer to leaving the Etihad Stadium, with reports in the Sun claiming City officials are set to reduce the centre-back's asking price to just £8m.
The £41m acquisition of Nathan Ake from AFC Bournemouth means City boss Pep Guardiola has his left-sided central defensive options covered, and despite featuring 39 times for the Premier League runners-up last season, Guardiola and his coaching team have decided that the Argentine's time in Manchester is up.
Napoli had previously been quoted £15m for the 32-year-old, but look set to return to the negotiating table following the latest development, while Valencia are also keeping tabs on the player they sold to City for more than £30m in 2015.
Napoli join Chelsea in Reguilon race
The 23-year-old enjoyed a successful season-long loan at Sevilla FC, but despite his impressive temporary spell away from the Bernabeu, Real boss Zinedine Zidane is keen to offload the Spaniard and use the funds to invest in his squad.
There is also reported to be interest in the Spain Under-21 international from Chelsea, with Blues manager Frank Lampard keen to improve his options at left-back after growing increasingly unconvinced by the credentials of Marcos Alonso and Emerson -- the latter being linked with a move to Serie A.
The asking price for Reguilon is in excess of £18m, which represents a cheaper option for Chelsea than Leicester City defender Ben Chilwell, who has been linked with a move to Stamford Bridge for more than £50m.
Lazio mull over Muriqi move
The Italian publication believes Simone Inzaghi's side are hoping to take advantage of financial troubles at the Turkish giants to land the 26-year-old for a cut-price of €20m.
Fenerbahce chairman Ali Koc recently announced further plans to reduce the budget at the club, as they look to clear huge bank debts, and Kosovo international Muriqi represents a chance to significantly shrink their salary outgoings, as well as their financial arrears.
- Sheffield United look set to beat West Bromwich Albion to the signing of Wigan Athletic defender Antonee Robinson, according to the Sun. The United States international is available for a bargain £1.5m following the Latics' relegation to League One.
- AC Milan defender Ricardo Rodriguez looks set to leave the San Siro in the close season, and Calciomercato claims the Switzerland international could be set for a move to the Rossoneri's Serie A rivals Torino. The 27-year-old made just five appearances for Milan this season, and also spent time out on loan at PSV Eindhoven.