Transfer Talk: Barcelona close in on deal for Juventus star Pjanic

play
Could Juventus cancel Gonzalo Higuain's contract? (1:29)

Gab Marcotti debates whether Gonzalo Higuain will return to Juventus from Argentina when football returns. (1:29)

The winter transfer window is closed, but now it's time to look ahead to the summer! Here are the new rumours floating around Europe's big leagues and beyond.

TOP STORY: Pjanic to Barcelona moves closer

Eagle-eyed readers will have seen the Miralem Pjanic-to-Barcelona rumours move edge closer in the last week, and Marca believes the transfer is finally beginning to take shape.

Barcelona see the 30-year-old as the perfect fit for their midfield and he would come with experience at the highest level, having played in Italy's top flight for the last nine years, the last four of those with Juventus.

The Bosnian is even said to be among Barca's top priorities, though they could face competition for his signature. The Catalan club have tried to sign him before, in 2018, though back then he decided to renew his contract in Turin until 2023. He's now one of the hottest prospects in Europe.

However, the two clubs have been in contact about potential signings and swaps, and it is believed that Pjanic relishes the chance to play alongside Lionel Messi at Camp Nou.

- Stream new episodes of ESPN FC Monday-Friday on ESPN+
- Stream every episode of 30 for 30: Soccer Stories on ESPN+

LIVE BLOG

23:00 BST: That's all for today's edition of Transfer Talk Live. Please check back in a few hours for tomorrow's best lines. Thanks and be safe!

22.00 BST: Real Madrid and Brazil star Marcelo wants to remain at the Bernabeu despite reported interest from Italy, he has said.

"I heard two years that I had agreed to join Juventus, and follow Cristiano to Italy. People enjoy creating these rumours," Marcelo, who is under contract until June 2022, said in an Instagram Live chat with Fabio Cannavaro.

"I did not want to leave, and I don't think Madrid would have let me go.

"I am very well here in Madrid, and I do not want to leave."

21.08 BST: Atletico Madrid have plans to present Paris Saint-Germain striker Edinson Cavani a two year contract offer this summer worth €6 million a season, reports Mundo Deportivo.

Cavani's PSG deal is up at the end of June, and the general thinking is that he'll need to find a new club after spending the past seven seasons in the French capital.

Can Diego Simeone's side seal the deal for the Uruguayan international? We'll have to wait and see.

20.07 BST: Brazilian side Santos are keen to sign Manchester United midfielder Andreas Pereira, according to the club's president. But it may be some time before it happens.

The president of the Sao Paulo giants, Jose Carlos Peres, revealed his interest to Gazeta Esportiva in quotes found in the Daily Mail, and even told the outlet he has been communicating with the lifelong Santos fan.

"I have Andreas Pereira on WhatsApp and I have been talking to him," Peres told the outlet. "He's done well at Manchester United. He will certainly wear the club's [Santos] shirt one day."

19.11 BST: Southampton are expecting to land Reims defender Axel Disasi over some Premier League and European rivals, according to the Daily Mail.

Disasi, 22, helped Reims finish sixth in Ligue 1 over the recently completed season and was a stalwart in the back line having started every league game except one.

17.30 BST: Willian has said he would be "fine" with a move to Arsenal or Tottenham once his contract expires this summer.

There hasn't been any indication that he will be at Stamford Bridge for the 2020-21 season, and the Brazil international discussed his situation with Brazilian YouTube channel Desimpedidos.

"It really is a hard decision," Willian said. "I identified myself a lot at Chelsea, I have a lot of love for everyone at the club, and the fans.

"However, it is like I said before, if I leave Chelsea with no trouble and leaving the doors open, it would be fine to move to a rival club."

16.21 BST: Liverpool midfielder Naby Keita has struggled to make an impact at the club since moving from RB Leipzig at the start of last season.

ESPN's Steve Nicol discusses why the 25-year-old should be given more time at Anfield.

15.11 BST: Atletico Madrid face competition from Premier League clubs in their bid to sign Real Valladolid defender Mohammed Salisu, sources have told ESPN.

The centre-back has impressed in La Liga this season and has a release clause of just €12 million.

Atletico have spoken to both Salisu and his club over a potential transfer, although sources at Valladolid insist that no formal offer has been made.

Five Premier League clubs have made inquiries, with at least three of them lodging serious interest in the defender. La Liga side Valencia have also made contact.

14.24 BST: Lyon striker Moussa Dembele would be interested in a move to Manchester United this summer, according to the Manchester Evening News.

The report claims that the club want to add another attacking option to the squad for next season and are using data analytics to aid their transfer process.

Sources close to the player say he is keen on moving to Old Trafford but the final decision lies with United boss Ole Gunnar Solskjaer.

13.53 BST: Paris Saint-Germain are interested in signing Leicester's Wilfred Ndidi, as they search for a new central midfielder in the summer transfer window, with Atletico Madrid's Thomas Partey and AS Monaco's Tiemoue Bakayoko also considered options, sources have told ESPN.

Ndidi, 23, was in fine form for Champions League-chasing Leicester before the break due to the coronavirus outbreak and became the subject of interest from some top European clubs.

And PSG, through their sporting director Leonardo, are positioning themselves to make a move. The Nigeria international arrived at Leicester in 2017 from Genk for £15 million and still has another four years left on his contract. His value is estimated at around £45-50m.

12.44 BST: Real Madrid forward Gareth Bale has said he would "definitely be interested" in playing in Major League Soccer in the future.

The Wales international -- who has a contract at the Bernabeu until 2022 -- came close to leaving the club last summer, before a move to China broke down.

"I really like the league," Bale told The Hat-Trick podcast. "It's grown so much over the years. When we come over and play now in pre-season, the games are difficult. The standard is a lot better. All the clubs are improving, the facilities are improving, the stadiums are improving.

"It's a league that's on the up and still rising, and I think a lot more players want to come over to America now to play. I'd definitely be interested in it. I love going to Los Angeles on holiday."

play
0:53

Is it too soon to call Naby Keita a Liverpool flop?

Steve Nicol weighs up whether Naby Keita still has a chance to turn things around with Liverpool.

12.01 BST: RB Leipzig striker Timo Werner has ruled out a switch to Bundesliga champions Bayern Munich and said he would prefer a move abroad amid links with Liverpool, Barcelona and Inter Milan (see Paper Talk section).

Werner, 24, has a contract until 2023 and a release clause in the €50 million to €60m region which allows him to leave Leipzig this summer. The Germany international has been linked with a move away but said Bayern is not an option for him in the future.

"Bayern are a great club, we don't need to talk about it, and Hansi Flick has proven this season he is a really good head coach," he told Bild. "But if a move were to become an issue at some point, I would be more tempted by a move abroad than a move to Bayern.

"It's just that the challenge of another league would appeal to me a little more than a move within the Bundesliga.

"Of course, it also important that mutual respect is there as much as possible. That's why I chose RB Leipzig at the time, and why I would choose the club for [the] next step as one where I would get that feeling."

11.20 BST: Real Madrid left-back Marcelo insists he wants to stay at Real Madrid and does not think the club wants to sell him amid reports linking him with Juventus.

Marcelo, 31, has won four La Liga titles and four Champions Leagues since moving to the Bernabeu in 2007.

The Brazil international has had his long-held status as Madrid's first-choice left-back challenged by summer signing Ferland Mendy, but he believes his place in the squad is not under threat.

"I don't want to leave and I don't think Real Madrid will sell me," Marcelo told former Madrid teammate Fabio Cannavaro in a live chat streamed on Instagram. "I have done very well at Madrid since arriving. It's been a long time and it's an incredible story.

"I do think it's good that other teams are interested in me, but I don't know about Juventus. Two years ago I had already signed with them [Juventus], and had their shirt on because I couldn't live without Cristiano Ronaldo. People make up a lot of things."

10.35 BST: AS Roma want to keep Manchester United loanee Chris Smalling for at least another season, manager Paulo Fonseca has told ESPN.

The defender has settled well in the Italian capital since he arrived on loan last summer and Fonseca said that Smalling wants to stay at the Italian club beyond this season, with his loan deal set to expire at the end of the campaign. Sources have told ESPN that while a deal has yet been agreed to make his move permanent, Roma are confident it can be done.

"I will do everything I can to keep him at Roma next year too," Fonseca said. "I know he wants to stay, let's see what happens.

"He's an amazing man, so humble, so professional. He is adored by the fans and established himself as one of the leaders in the dressing room.

"It's not easy for English central defenders to adapt so quickly to Italian football, the record there isn't good. But he has been amazing."

- Fonseca interview: 'A big pleasure' to rebuild Serie A's sleeping giant

play
1:49

Fonseca: Roma and Smalling interested in making deal permanent

Roma manager Paulo Fonseca admitted that Roma are interested in signing Chris Smalling permanently.

09.48 BST: Former Tottenham manager Tim Sherwood believes the club must convince Harry Kane to stay through their ambition in the transfer market.

Kane, 26, said recently that he would not stay at Spurs if the team does not progress as he wants to win trophies "sooner rather than later."

That statement re-ignited talk of interest from Manchester United, and sources have told ESPN that the England captain will remain on the transfer shortlist at Old Trafford despite Tottenham's stance that they will not sell their star striker to a domestic rival.

Sherwood, the manager who gave Kane his Tottenham first-team debut in 2013, compared the striker's situation of his former Blackburn teammate, Alan Shearer.

"It's like Shearer," Sherwood told the Daily Mail. "He finishes fourth with Blackburn [in 1992-93], then second [in 1993-94]. Manchester United are all over him. But he decides to stay, because he believes we have the quality to win [the Premier League title], and we did the next season.

"Harry needs to assess this himself. I would wait to see what they do in the summer. They've got a manager who has not gone there to only finish inside the top four. Harry will know very soon if the club are willing to spend that money to give themselves that opportunity of winning the league.

09.00 BST: Barcelona plan to swap rather than buy players on the transfer market this summer, with football's shutdown already having cost the club between €120m and €140m in revenues, club vice president Jordi Cardoner has told ESPN.

Cardoner said it was certain the club would make a loss this season, but added: "Because our base economic situation is a solid one, this will not affect us the same way as probably other clubs."

Cardoner predicted that swapping players without money changing hands would be a common practice for clubs this summer.

"It will be part of the game. This is the way things will happen for next season in European clubs," he said.

Cardoner refused to discuss specific deals. However, his comments suggest that Barcelona will not splash large transfer fees on reported targets such as Inter Milan striker Lautaro Martinez or Paris Saint-Germain forward Neymar, nor match the Brazil international's salary of €30m.

PAPER TALK (by Nick Judd): Camavinga off, Cherki on for Real Madrid?

Real Madrid may be forced to make a switch in transfer direction, with Rennes suggesting they'll do everything to prevent Eduardo Camavinga moving to the Bernabeu, according to AS.

The same title also suggests that due to the early completion of Ligue 1, Madrid could make the most of Lyon's failure to qualify for the Champions League and sign youngster Rayan Cherki.

Lyon have fallen victim to the cancellation of the French season with their league position resulting in a number of players' release clauses being triggered, Cherki's included.

Chjerki is only 16 years olf but Zinedine Zidane is said to have been monitoring the youngster for some time. Lyon's youngest ever scorer, he might just have moved up the pecking order as a result of Rennes playing hardball over Camavinga.

Bayern, Inter could seize Werner from Liverpool's grasp

Timo Werner is now a realistic target for Inter Milan and Bayern Munich following the news that Liverpool have admitted they're likely to spend any money this summer.

The news comes via the Daily Mirror, who suggest that the coronavirus has affected Liverpool's finances to the extent that they're no longer pursuing their top two targets, namely Werner or Lyon's Houssem Aouar.

RB Leipzig star Werner has a £50 million release clause while Aouar could cost up to £40m, a combination which is proving too costly for the Reds in the current situation.

Even signing one of the two looks unlikely, which means that other clubs could now attempt to sign hot prospect Werner, who is likely to leave the Leipzig this summer.

Bayern and Inter are both now believed to be at the front of the queue for the striker who has scored 27 goals in 36 games.

Tap-ins

- Santos are interested in signing Manchester United midfielder Andreas Pereira, according to an interview with O Peixe president Jose Carlos Peres in Gazeta Esportiva. The Brazilian has played 37 times for United this season but is keen to return home, and despite being contracted until June 2023, Santos are keen to offer him a way home.

- Argentine side San Lorenzo are keen to sign Luis Suarez, according to South American outlet Crack Deportivo. They're keen to take the striker to Argentina, with their club president planning to make an offer for the 33-year-old at the end of the season. Suarez is believed to have an affinity with the club, and the Uruguay star could fancy a return to South America with Barcelona looking to change their attacking options this summer.