United States striker Bobby Wood has moved to Bundesliga side Hannover on loan after asking to leave relegated Hamburg.
Hannover will retain the option to sign the 25-year-old Wood on a permanent basis at the end of the season.
"I had very good talks ... and know what the club intends, what kind of football should be played and where I fit in with that. My gut feeling told me it is the right decision," Wood told Hannover's website.
Wood, who has 12 goals in 39 appearances for the U.S. national team since making his debut in 2013, scored only three goals for Hamburg in 25 appearances in all competitions last season as the club suffered their first-ever relegation from the top flight.
He has played in Germany since 2007 when he joined 1860 Munich's youth setup, and he made his debut in the second division in 2011. He moved to Union Berlin in 2015, and then Hamburg in the top flight in 2016.
"Mein Bauchgefühl hat mir gesagt, dass es die richtige Entscheidung ist, zu #H96 zu wechseln!" 👍 Das finden wir auch! Herzlich willkommen in #Hannover, @BobbyS_Wood! 🤗 Lest hier alle Infos und Stimmen zum Transfer: 👉 https://t.co/OAFqvXYLIt! #NiemalsAllein ⚫⚪💚 pic.twitter.com/u4yAvRGX07— Hannover 96 (@Hannover96) July 9, 2018
Wood's time in Hamburg did not go to plan, as he scored just seven goals in 52 league games, but Hannover sporting director Horst Heldt was confident he can overcome his recent club struggles.
"He went through a difficult period recently, but not long ago half the league was chasing him," Heldt said, adding that he believes Wood is a team player with high potential.
Hamburg had confirmed last week that Wood had asked to leave so he could remain in the first division.
Reports in Germany had also linked Wood to Ukrainian side Dynamo Kiev.