Niklas Sule: Chelsea were interested in me before Bayern Munich move

Niklas Sule has said he rejected interest from Chelsea before opting to join Bayern Munich.

Germany international defender Sule, 21, signed a five-year deal at Bayern for a reported fee of around €25 million earlier this year and joins from Hoffenheim in the summer.

He told SportBild: "Chelsea were interested, but it would have been too early for me to move to England.

"Bayern are among the top three clubs in the world, so I didn't have to think about it for too long.

"It was simply the right move for me. I wanted to stay in the Bundesliga and prove myself in the best team."

He said he had felt that "no offer from an English club would have the same appeal as Bayern," praising the Bundesliga champions for competing with the world's biggest clubs despite receiving less TV money than Premier League clubs.

"The club is in a remarkable position, and that's why I decided to move here," he added.

The central defender won his second cap in Germany's friendly draw against Denmark on Tuesday and will take part in the Confederation Cup in Russia later this month.

He said that although he would face tough competition from Jerome Boateng and Mats Hummels at Bayern, he did not believe a potential late start to preseason because of the Confederations Cup would harm his chances.

"I don't see it that way at all," he said. "Bayern signed me because they're convinced of my qualities. Whether I start two weeks earlier or later isn't important. Those responsible know what I'm capable of.

"Playing competitive games for my country will be a cool experience."