2020-21 Australian A League, Regular Season
  • Lachlan Wales (61')
  • Besart Berisha (66')
  • Craig Noone (12')

Western United snap Melbourne City's six-game winning streak

Western United staged a second half fightback to snap Melbourne City's six-game winning streak and ensure they remained in touch with the A-League's top-six in a thrilling 2-1 victory.

Powered by goals from Lachlan Wales and frequent City nemesis Besart Berisha in the 61st and 66th minutes respectively, the triumph at AAMI Park marks the sophomore club's first win over their local foes -- breaking a five-game losing streak.

- Stream ESPN FC Daily on ESPN+ (U.S. only)

"It's a reality check," City coach Patrick Kisnorbo said. "In professional sports, you cannot afford to switch off because on any given day there is a team waiting there to beat you.

"That's what happened today. It's a reality check for us but we'll prepare and move on for Monday's clash [with Wellington Phoenix in Wollongong]."

The three points earned moves United into the seventh position on the A-League table, with at least a game in hand on every side presently in the top-six.

Mark Rudan's side is set to face the 11th-placed Newcastle Jets on Monday afternoon.

"Did we ride out luck? Yes we did, I'm not going to lie" Rudan said. "But you only get lucky when you persevere, when you work hard, you stay together and you have belief in yourself and your teammates.

"Sometimes you write you're own luck and we certainly deserved a little bit of that."

Looking off the pace in the opening half, United fell behind in the 11th minute of play when Craig Noone and Jamie Maclaren combined to allow the former to fire in from close range for his fifth goal on the season and third in two games.

Halftime adjustments and the introduction of Italian superstar Alessandro Diamanti as a second half substitute, however, served to allow the hosts back into it.

Denied a penalty by VAR in controversial circumstances after Iker Guarrotxena was collected front-on by Nuno Reis and in the 53rd minute, United took the lead just minutes later when Wales and Berisha delivered their two goals in five minutes just after the hour mark.

City threw everything they had at United as time wound down -- Rostyn Griffiths and Maclaren coming closest -- but goalkeeper Ryan Scott and his defence did enough to keep them at bay and secure the three points.