Germany's Thomas Muller takes himself off penalties after miss vs. Italy

Germany forward Thomas Muller says he will not volunteer to take a penalty in the remainder of the European Championship following his miss in the shootout win over Italy on Saturday.

Muller, 26, became the first German to miss a penalty during a shootout at a major tournament since 1982 when Gianluigi Buffon saved his attempt from the spot in Bordeaux.

But despite ending a streak of 22 converted penalties, the Nationalmannschaft still reached the semifinals as Cologne left-back Jonas Hector became the unlikely hero with his sudden-death finish.

Germany -- for whom Mesut Ozil had already missed a penalty during the group stage prior to his own missed shootout effort -- will now have to do without Thomas Muller as a penalty taker in the upcoming match against France, as he has relieved himself from penalty duties.

"I will not be taking any penalties during a match in the next two weeks," Muller said. "I will work on my technique, and come back stronger in one, maybe two months. I will yield to others."

Muller missed four of his 12 penalties for Bayern Munich last season, most notably failing to convert against Atletico Madrid's Jan Oblak in the second leg of the Champions League semifinal.

However he is aware that he may be needed to at least have another attempt if one of Germany's remaining games ends in a penalty shootout.

"If we go to penalties again and we need someone, I will be there, but I won't force myself on it," he said.

Muller has yet to score in a European Championship game, but has vowed to not give up after his poor run of form.

"I will try again, and if it happens it happens," he said. "I might not get the best ratings in media if we win the final without a goal of mine, but I will still take the trophy back home."