LIVE Transfer Talk: Man United want Bale on loan

play
Can Manchester United afford to sign Gareth Bale? (1:58)

The FC crew debate whether Manchester United can afford Gareth Bale and how effective he could be if he returned to the Premier League. (1:58)

The Premier League transfer window is open. You can click here to review all the latest transfers and keep up to date with all the latest gossip.

When does the window open in Europe? | QUIZ: Which club should you join?

TOP STORY: High-interest loan move for Bale

Manchester United are looking to snap up Gareth Bale on loan ahead of the 2019-20 season, reports the Mirror.

Bale has been told he's surplus to requirements at Real Madrid and United have long been linked with the Welshman, and a loan move could suit all parties.

Madrid are desperate to ditch the winger, having made it clear he has no future at the Bernabeu. However, Bale has had no takers so far and his wages mean only a small number of clubs could afford him. A loan deal would at least mean someone else would be footing the bill for his wages for the year ahead, with both parties supposedly keen on an option to extend the deal for a further 12 months.

For United, it would enable them to land a top star without having to pay a transfer fee, while Bale would no doubt relish first-team football without leaving Madrid permanently.

LIVE BLOG

23.15 BST: That will do it for tonight's edition of Transfer Talk. We hope you enjoyed following along with us and remind you to check back shortly for the latest transfer rumours, rumblings and completed deals. Goodnight!

23.01 BST: Liverpool's front three of Mohamed Salah, Sadio Mane and Roberto Firmino is up there with the best in the world but could the Champions League winners about to get even richer?

RMC Sport claimed over the weekend that the Reds are well placed to make a move for breakout Lille star Nicolas Pepe. The £60 million-rated winger scored 22 goals last season, second in Ligue 1 to Kylian Mbappe's 33, as Lille finished a surprising second.

The Liverpool Echo now understands that the report was false and that Liverpool have made no enquiry or bid for the Ivorian. Sources tell the Echo Pepe is not under consideration at Anfield but that Liverpool would like to add an attacker to replace the departing Daniel Sturridge.

22.24 BST: Spanish outlet Marca claims that Everton will complete the signing of Getafe centre-back Dakonam Djene.

The 27-year-old has been closely linked with Arsenal but now it is reportedly Everton who are in the lead for the defender. The Togo international was the rock in the middle for surprise La Liga side Getafe and is drawing interest from clubs across Europe.

Everton will be in the market for a centre-back as Phil Jagielka's contract is set to expire, while Kurt Zouma is expected to return to Chelsea following his loan spell.

21.57 BST: Sheffield Wednesday have completed a signing according to reports in Germany.

Julian Borner of 2. Bundesliga side Arminia Bielefeld is the player that the Owls are closing in on, with the defender himself telling German newspaper Neue Westfalische he is preparing to move his family to England.

"But it has always been a childhood dream of mine to play in England," said the 28-year-old defender.

"Suddenly this economically interesting offer came in," he added.

"I flew over, talked to those responsible, completed the medical check-up and signed it."

Wednesday have yet to confirm the transfer but it sounds as if this all but a done deal.

21.11 BST: Arsenal's pursuit of centre-back William Saliba appears to have taken a hit.

The £25 million-rated Saint Etienne defender's agent was spotted in Manchester this weekend, leading to speculation his client could be bound for Manchester and not London. The 18-year-old defender was part of seven clean sheets in 16 appearances for Saint Etienne as Les Verts earned a surprise fourth-place finish in Ligue 1 this past season.

Was Saliba's agent in Manchester for business or pleasure? The answer to that question could go a long way in determining where Saliba will be playing his football next season.

20.34 BST: What's next for Danny Rose?

Following England's penalty shootout win in the third-place game of the Nations League, the Tottenham left-back had some interesting comments regarding his future.

The 28-year-old cast some doubt on his future with the club by saying: "If I am [at Tottenham next season] great, if not great," he told Sky Sports after playing for England in Guimaraes. "It's no secret I've been linked with a move in the media, and it's the club's policy to move players on when they reach a certain age."

Rose has been at Tottenham since 2007 and if Spurs do elect to move on without him, one name to watch is Fulham's 19-year-old ace Ryan Sessegnon.

20.07 BST: Everton's No.1 priority this summer is signing midfielder Andre Gomes on a permanent basis from Barcelona. Manager Marco Silva has even gone as far to say "We must do everything to sign Gomes."

On club that could throw a wrench in those plans? Wolves. Portuguese journalist

"I wouldn't be surprised if some other English club comes and tries to get him. I can easily imagine, for instance, Wolves - although Jorge Mendes is not his agent anymore."

Wolves currently have nine Portuguese players on their roster led by Ruben Neves, Diogo Jota and Joao Moutinho and have taken full advantage of their association with super agent Mendes.

19.40 BST: Another turn in the Ousmane Dembele at Barcelona saga.

Spanish outlet AS has reported that the Frenchman turned up late for a training session ahead of the Copa del Rey, the latest transgression made by the talented 22-year-old attacker. Dembele, who scored 14 goals and added nine assists last season, has gotten himself into trouble with the club's brass before and after his latest example of tardiness was reportedly told he will be transfer listed if it happens again.

Dembele is one of the top young players in the world but maturity issues remain a major question mark.

19.09 BST: Everton are being linked with a promising young South American attacker.

Marca writes that the Merseysiders are are chasing San Lorenzo youngster Adolfo Gaich. The 20-year-old, who recently scored three goals at the Under-20 World Cup with Argentina, is also being linked with Italian side Genoa.

Everton have seen high-profile moves for centre-forwards like Oumar Niasse, Sandro Ramirez and Cenk Tosun flop in recent seasons and could elect to go a more youthful route this time with the £12 million-rated Argentine.

18.37 BST: Recently-promoted Aston Villa will be in the market for a new striker with leading scorer Tammy Abraham returning to Chelsea after his season-long loan.

The Birmingham club are now being linked with a sensational move for £35 million-rated Maxi Gomez from Celta Vigo. The 22-year-old Uruguayan has amassed 30 league goals in Spain over the past two seasons and has previously been linked with the likes of West Ham and even Barcelona.

Ney Castillo, the president of Gomez's former club Defensor Montevideo, claims that Gomez has informed him about Villa and Valencia's interest. Leeds striker Kemar Roofe is another name being linked as possible solution to Villa's striker problem.

18.03 BST: Sticking with Man United for a minute, Man United have reportedly had a bid rejected for one of their top summer targets.

Sky Sports News reports that the Red Devils have had a £40 million bid rejected for young Crystal Palace right-back Aaron Wan-Bissaka. The 21-year-old burst onto the scene in 2018-19 with the Eagles and has been identified as a main target in Ole Gunnar Solskjaer's Man United rebuild.

Palace reportedly want at least £60m for the England youth international, so expect Man United to circle back with improved bids.

17.21 BST: Man United remain adamant that they want to keep Paul Pogba at Old Trafford.

That said, The Evening Standard understands that Man United are preparing a contingency plan for life without Pogba -- if the Frenchman does decide to force a move. The paper claims Christian Eriksen and Youri TIelemans have been identified by manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer as potential Pogba replacements.

Eriksen, like Pogba, has been heavily linked with a move to Real Madrid, while Monaco man Tielemans is in high demand after starring following a January loan to Leicester.

Just another quiet summer at Old Trafford

16.53 BST: Football Insiders claims that Leeds have made an approach for a pair of Liverpool players.

The report suggests the Whites have enquired about Liverpool talents Ryan Kent (22) and Harry Wilson (22). The two starred while on loan season at Rangers and Derby County respectively and are reportedly in demand by more than 10 clubs each. Wilson, who bagged 15 goals at Derby, is valued at £25 million, while Liverpool reportedly want between £10-12m for the 2018-19 PFA Scotland Young Player of the Year Kent.

Liverpool will have decisions to make regarding Wilson and Kent but expect Marcelo Bielsa and Co. to be among the suitors if Liverpool decide to loan out or even sell either player.

16.04 BST: Zinedine Zidane is preparing himself for another power play at Real Madrid, according to AS.

The Madrid-based daily report the Frenchman is hoping to utilise Brahim Diaz next season, but several board members would like to see him loaned out.

Nothing is ever simple at the Bernabeu.

15.37 BST: Fiorentina midfielder Jordan Veretout is attracting interest from Arsenal and Sevilla, according to L'Equipe.

However, the Frenchman is already in advanced talks with Napoli over a move this summer.

14.59 BST: Manchester United would have to give David De Gea £20m to ensure he leaves this summer as PSG line up a £60m bid, according to The Sun.

De Gea would make a fortune if he moves on a free transfer and so, the report claims he wants some of that money this summer -- or leave for nothing in 12 months' time.

14.28 BST: Inter Milan directors Piero Ausilio and Beppe Marotta recently travalled to Madrid to follow up their interest in Los Blancos pair Lucas Vazquez and Mateo Kovacic, according to Goal Italia.

Kovacic was at Inter before joining Madrid and spent last season on loan at Chelsea.

The report adds that new boss Antonio Conte may look to add Roma left-back Aleksandar Kolarov, who could be available on a free.

13.49 BST: Newcastle's potential new owners are already preparing a huge move, with the Sunday Mirror reporting Sheikh Khaled bin Zayed Al Nehayan is targeting Jose Mourinho as the club's next manager.

The Sheik's reported £350m is not yet official but is expected to be completed soon. Rafa Benitez's future remains in doubt.

13.13 BST: Manchester United record goal scorer Wayne Rooney has urged Old Trafford boss Ole Gunnar Solskjaer to target young players rather than established superstars in this summer's transfer market.

Solskjaer has a busy summer ahead of him and sources have told ESPN FC there could be as many as five players arriving.

"For Ole, I think the first thing he's got to do is try and build the squad," Rooney told BBC Radio Five Live.

12.33 BST: Barcelona target Antoine Griezmann has said he knows where he will be playing next season -- but ruled out a move to MLS.

"I know where I'll be playing next season," Griezmann said. "I can only say that it will not be Miami."

Manchester United and Paris Saint-Germain have also been linked with his signature.

12.01 BST: Tottenham boss Mauricio Pochettino wants Nathan Ake from Bournemouth as a replacement for Toby Alderweireld, should the Belgium international leave, according to The Sun.

The report claims Ake would cost Spurs £40m -- double what Bournemouth paid when they signed him from Chelsea in 2017.

Alderweireld is a target for Manchester United, and a clause in his contract means he is available for £25m.

11.19 BST: Any Inter Milan move for Romelu Lukaku rests on Mauro Icardi leaving and the Argentine is reluctant, La Gazzetta dello Sport have said.

New boss Antonio Conte is interesting in signing Manchester United forward Lukaku.

However, there isn't enough room for both and he and Icardi.

10.41 BST: It was something of a surprise when Yannick Carrasco opted to ditch Atletico Madrid when entering the prime of his career to join Chinese Super League side Dalian Yifang. But Sport now reports the 25-year-old is set to return to Europe and is closing on a move to Arsenal.

10.03 BST: Many raised an eyebrow when Jesse Lingard signed a £100,00-a-week contract at Manchester United. Well get ready to raise another, as the Sun on Sunday is reporting that he is about to get another extension.... which will put him on £130,000-a-week! That'll help him get over his VAR-disallowed winner for England against Netherlands.

09.30 BST: The Daily Mirror is reporting that Manchester City and Manchester United are being put off by the £90 million-fee they have been quoted by Leicester for England international Harry Maguire.

PAPER ROUND (by Nick Judd)

Valencia to join Beckham stateside

David Beckham is turning to a former United player -- and a fellow former inhabitant of the famous No. 7 shirt -- as he looks to build his MLS side Inter Miami CF ahead of the new season.

Free agent Antonio Valencia is high on Beckham's wanted list, according to the Sun, and the swashbuckling right-back would be a great coup for the new franchise. The Ecuador international was released by United earlier this month along with 15 other players, including Ander Herrera. Though he is ideally looking to stay in England, Valencia could be tempted by a move stateside to join the former United legend and his new project.

Valencia played just eight times last season but made 338 appearances in total with United, scoring 25 goals and winning Premier League, Europa League, FA Cup and League Cup titles.

Butland expensive but in demand

Stoke City and England goalkeeper Jack Butland is wanted by a number of Premier League clubs, but the £23 million fee Stoke are demanding for his services could prove a stumbling block for the likes of Crystal Palace and Bournemouth, so says The Sun.

Butland is looking for a Premier League move to resurrect both his club and international careers and he is not short of suitors, but Stoke are proving tough negotiators.

The Potters aren't keen to sell but would cash in on their star man, possibly because his previous club is due a 20% sell-on clause. Any move in the region of the figures alleged would net the Blues over £3m.

Bournemouth are keen to add Butland to the squad, but, after offering Artur Boruc a year extension, would need to move on Asmir Begovic first.

play
1:32

Why a Leroy Sane move to Bayern 'isn't looking likely'

Bundesliga correspondent Raf Honigstein weighs in on Bayern Munich's interest in Man City's Leroy Sane and the roadblocks that have emerged between the clubs.

City set to splash cash home and abroad

Bad news for all those clubs looking to try to beat Manchester City to top spot in the Premier League next season: Pep Guardiola looks set to be given a hefty transfer budget to improve his side further.

The Sun is reporting that City have taken out a payday-style loan and mortgaged the money they're due from the Premier League for last season and the campaign ahead.

All of which means Guardiola will be armed with cash as he looks to strengthen his already impressive squad, and top of his list remains Benfica's promising young forward Joao Felix. Benfica president Luis Filipe Vieira was today reported as admitting his star man has decided to leave, and it is expected Felix will make a decision on his next destination after Sunday's Nations League final against Netherlands.

City and Manchester United are said to be battling it out for Felix's services, with City leading the chase thanks to an impressive salary and the prospect of Champions League football.

The Daily Star today also reported that Guardiola is planning a double raid on Leicester City for the services of Harry Maguire, another United target, and Ben Chilwell for a combined fee of £125 million.

Tap-ins

- Chelsea are keen to land rising Bayer Leverkusen star Leon Bailey but must wait on their appeal of a transfer ban before making any move for the Bundesliga hotshot. Leverkusen are asking for £80 million for the 21-year-old, but Chelsea are keen to replace Eden Hazard, who left the club for Real Madrid on Friday, reports the Daily Mail.

- Everton right-back Jonjoe Kenny is set to shun Burnley and Crystal Palace and instead complete a season-long loan move to Schalke this week, says the Mail. Former Huddersfield boss David Wagner is the current Schalke boss and he feels Kenny could impress in Germany.