LIVE Transfer Talk: Man City eye move for Real Sociedad star Oyarzabal

play
Hislop: Man City are clearly missing a true goal scorer (1:53)

Shaka Hislop speaks after Man City recorded just one shot on target in their 0-0 draw vs. Southampton. (1:53)

The summer transfer window is closed for the top leagues in Europe! After a summer full of international football, countless clubs waited until the last minute to pull off their transfers. See all the major deals here and check out how we graded the biggest signings. But just because the window is shut until January, that doesn't mean the rumours won't keep coming.

TOP STORY: Man City eye move for Oyarzabal

Manchester City are keeping a close eye on Real Sociedad forward Mikel Oyarzabal, says TEAMtalk.

Oyarzabal, 24, has scored four goals in five games for Sociedad so far this season and has the club battling at the top of the LaLiga table.

The report states that "City and Pep Guardiola are long-term admirers of Oyarzabal, and have spoken to Sociedad on a number of occasions." Two years ago they apparently considered him when looking for a replacement for Leroy Sane for €45m in July 2020, but nothing came of their interest.

Paris Saint-Germain and Borussia Dortmund have also been linked with the Spain international in the past, but Guardiola is looking to boost his attacking options after Sergio Aguero left for Barcelona this summer and Oyarzabal can play up front or out wide. He also reportedly has an €80m release clause.

- ESPN+ guide: LaLiga, Bundesliga, MLS, FA Cup, more (U.S.)
- Dortmund vs. Union Berlin: Stream LIVE 9/19 on ESPN+ (U.S.)
- Don't have ESPN? Get instant access

LIVE BLOG

21.57 BST: Juventus could offer midfielder Adrien Rabiot in part exchange to tempt Barcelona to part with goalkeeper Marc-Andre ter Stegen, writes Calciomercato, in a deal that would also include a €10m fee heading to the Catalan club.

The Blaugrana No. 1 is seen as a replacement for Wojciech Szczesny, but negotiations could continue to develop with Barca reported to be interested in fellow Juve midfielder Rodrigo Bentancur.

21.24 BST: Liverpool goalkeeper Loris Karius could look to revive his career with FC Basel, Sport Bild revealed on Thursday. The 28-year-old has spent recent seasons on loan at Besiktas and Union Berlin, after being usurped by Alisson as the Reds' No. 1, and could now be set to move to the Swiss Super League in January on a permanent basis.

20.51 BST: Juventus are confident of agreeing to new terms with Paulo Dybala by the end of the month. Speaking to DAZN, as quoted by Nicolo Schira, vice-chairman Pavel Nedved said: "We are confident to close an agreement."

20.18 BST: Senegal international M'Baye Niang is continuing to attract interest from clubs across France, with Saint-Etienne the latest club to be tracking the former AC Milan star closely, according to Le10 Sport. While interest from Les Verts is genuine, it is reported that Claude Puel's side must work fast if they are to beat Bordeaux to the signature of the 26-year-old Stade Rennais front man who scored 10 times in Ligue 1 last season.

19.45 BST: The Mirror writes that Barcelona scouts were present at Walsall with a keen eye on Carl Rushworth. The 20-year-old goalkeeper is on loan at the League Two club from Brighton & Hove Albion, where he has already saved four penalties this season.

19.12 BST: Italian outlet Sport Mediaset reveals that Napoli could fast-track a permanent move for Fulham's Andre-Frank Zambo Anguissa. The midfielder is on loan with the Serie A side, but after impressing instantly at the Diego Armando Maradona Stadium, the Partenopei are set to confirm the Cameroon international's stay ahead of the January transfer window.

18.39 BST: Former Germany international Mario Gomez is being linked with a backroom staff move to RB Leipzig, according to reports in Germany. Sport Bild writes that talks to get the retired Bundesliga star into Jesse Marsch's backroom staff have been going on for weeks, and while the 36-year-old has since been working in television, he could now begin a journey to a role in management.

18.06 BST: Barcelona have joined the race for Anthony Martial, according to the Express.

The Blaugrana are the latest club to be interested in the former AS Monaco striker, and are reported to be willing to challenge Tottenham Hotspur over a potential deal. According to reports on Tuesday, a fee of around £40m would be enough for clubs to begin negotiating personal terms with the forward.

The Manchester United star has been linked with a move away from Old Trafford since being unable to cement a regular place in Ole Gunnar Solskjaer's starting XI.

17.33 BST: Everton midfielder James Rodriguez has joined Qatari side Al Rayyan for an undisclosed fee, both clubs announced on Wednesday.

Sources previously told ESPN that Rodriguez was discussing a move with the Qatari club after Everton gave him permission to leave Goodison Park. The 30-year-old was told by manager Rafa Benitez, who replaced Carlo Ancelotti this summer, that he was not in his plans.

Read the full story.

16.30 BST: New PSG signing Lionel Messi will be out of action for a bit.

play
1:39

Lionel Messi's injury to keep him out vs. Metz

Julien Laurens and Frank Leboeuf provide an update on Lionel Messi's knee injury that will keep him out of PSG's match vs. Metz.

15.26 BST: Arsenal striker Alexandre Lacazette has no desire to sign a new contract, says Le10 Sport.

Lacazette, 30, has terms that expire at the end of the 2021-22 season and has seen Atletico Madrid and Sevilla following him in recent years.

14.53 BST: U.S. business and finance heavyweight Forbes has crunched the numbers and produced a Top 10 of the world's most highly paid professional footballers.

The players in question are set to collectively rake in a staggering $585 million in pre-tax earnings this season, which is up from $570m a year ago.

There are no prizes for guessing the two most well-remunerated players on the list, with erstwhile rivals Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo once again top of the billing.

However, the big news is that Ronaldo has rallied and reclaimed the No. 1 spot from Messi, following the Argentine's tumultuous summer transfer to Paris Saint-Germain that brought to an abrupt end to his 21-year association with Barcelona.

14.15 BST: ESPN reported that Barcelona are exploring options to replace Ronald Koeman, but Sport says they would need to pay €1.8m to release Roberto Martinez from his contract with the Belgium national team.

Martinez, who found success as a manager with Swansea, Wigan and Everton, is one of the names on Barca's shortlist alongside Xavi.

"As you can imagine, there is nothing, really nothing, for me to comment on," Martinez told Eurosport. "Obviously, there are always rumours, they are always there. This is normal in football.

"When you lose three matches, rumours say you are going to lose your job. When things are going well, when you have good results, there are also rumours. But there is nothing for me to comment on at this time."

13.49 BST: TZ reports that Bayern Munich want to sign FC Porto midfielder Luis Diaz.

Diaz, 24, could replace Kingsley Coman, who is struggling to agree a new contract, in Munich and the Colombia winger could cost around €40m.

Everton had previously been close to securing his signature, but now Barcelona are also being linked.

13.17 BST: Atalanta left-back Robin Gosens has caught the eye of Inter Milan, says Calciomercato.

Gosens, 27, impressed for Germany at Euro 2020 and Atalanta are reportedly keen to land around €30m from any interested clubs.

12.28 BST: Barcelona coach Ronald Koeman refused to take questions from the media on Wednesday as the uncertainty surrounding his future at Camp Nou grows.

ESPN reported on Tuesday that Barca have already begun to sound out alternatives following Monday's 1-1 draw with Granada in LaLiga, which came after the 3-0 defeat to Bayern Munich in the Champions League last week.

Koeman, 58, was due to speak in a news conference on Wednesday ahead of Thursday's trip to Cadiz in the league. However, he read out a short statement before declaring that he would not respond to questions from the gathered media.

"The club and the manager are carrying out a reconstruction process. The financial position of the club is related to sporting matters and vice versa. That means we must rebuild the football team, without making big investments. That needs time. The young talent we have can be new world stars in a couple of years. The good thing about rebuilding the team is that the young players will have chances, like Xavi and [Andres] Iniesta did in their day. But we ask for patience.

"Finishing high in the league would be a success. European football is a good school for these young players, but we can't expect miracles in the Champions League. The defeat to Bayern Munich must be viewed from that perspective. The process we are in means the squad deserves unconditional backing. In words and in actions -- support the process we're carrying out. I know the press recognise this process.

"It's not the first time in the club's history that this happens. We count on your support in these difficult teams. As a squad, we are happy with the support from the fans that we had in the game at home against Granada."

12.23 BST: Football Insider says that Manchester City rejected a £15m bid for teenage striker Liam Delap from Borussia Dortmund in the summer.

Delap, 18, signed a new contract in August that keeps him at the club until 2026 and is the son of former Stoke player Rory Delap.

The striker netted 24 goals in 20 appearances for City's Under-23s last season but has yet to make the step up to be a regular in the first-team, despite the club's lack of options up front after the exit of Sergio Aguero, though he has played three times for Pep Guardiola's side.

Dortmund are clearly on the lookout for a replacement for star striker Erling Haaland, who will likely leave for his €75m release clause next summer, and Delap seemingly fits the bill.

12.00 BST: Barcelona may be looking for a new manager soon.

play
1:45

Who could replace Koeman if he's sacked by Barcelona?

Sam Marsden and Alexis Nunes look at possible candidates to manage Barcelona if Ronald Koeman is sacked by the club.

11.11 BST: The Evening Standard claims that Chelsea want to secure the futures of N'Golo Kante, Mason Mount and Jorginho.

Kante and Jorginho have entered the final two years of their contracts, while Mount will get a reward for his recent form that has seen him become an established first-team player for club and country.

Captain Cesar Azpilicueta is another who the club want to sign a new deal, as his terms expire at the end of the season.

10.45 BST: Chelsea defender Antonio Rudiger is of interest to Bundesliga giants Bayern Munich, says Bild.

Rudiger, 28, has a contract which expires in the summer of 2022 and has yet to agree new terms. The Germany international has played more this season, having looked like his Chelsea career would be over a year ago.

But Bayern are keen to land him on a free transfer and have already contacted his agent.

10.08 BST: Cristiano Ronaldo's mother, Dolores Aveiro, has said her biggest desire before she dies is for her son to return and play for Sporting Lisbon.

If that cannot happen, then she would settle for her grandson, Cristiano Jr, playing for Sporting, who became Portuguese champions last season for the first time in 19 years.

There was speculation earlier this year that Portugal captain Ronaldo would return to Sporting, where he began his professional career, but he instead joined Manchester United for the second time in his career.

"Ronaldo has to come back here," Aveiro, a big Sporting Lisbon fan, said in a podcast. "If it were my choice, he would already be here. He likes to watch Sporting games. I've already told him: 'Son, before I die, I want to see you return to Sporting'. He says: 'Let's see': But if it can't be him, then Cristianinho!"

Ronaldo's eldest son, Cristiano Jr. is at Manchester United's academy, having previously played at Juventus' academy.

"At his age, he plays better than Ronaldo," Aveiro said of her 11-year-old grandson. "At that age, Ronaldo didn't have a coach but today Ronaldo is his son's teacher. He's already saying 'Dad, when we move to Lisbon I want to play for Sporting'. Now he's starting out at Manchester [United]. Seeing the two of them together at Sporting was my dream, it would be spectacular."

She then joked: "Today the No. 7 jersey [at Sporting] is [Brazilian attacking midfielder] Tabata, but when Ronaldo comes it will be his!"

09.46 BST: Real Madrid certainly have plenty of attacking options, but that doesn't bode well for Marco Asensio.

Asensio, 25, is seemingly behind Karim Benzema, Eden Hazard, Vinicius Junior, Gareth Bale, Rodrygo Goes and Lucas Vazquez in the race for a spot in the first-team and the Spain winger has not started any of the club's six games to date.

Marca reports that there is "tension" over his future, with boss Carlo Ancelotti less impressed that previous manager Zinedine Zidane.

09.35 BST: Arsenal are to propose a swap deal involving midfielder Granit Xhaka for Juventus' Weston McKennie, says Tuttojuve.

Xhaka almost left the Gunners for Roma this summer but the two clubs couldn't agree a fee. He signed a new contract but only to protect his value and is still expected to leave at some point in the coming year.

Tottenham have been linked with U.S. international McKennie, who has slipped down the pecking order under new Juve boss Massimiliano Allegri, but now London rivals Arsenal could be set to muddy the waters.

09.02 BST: Tottenham Hotspur head coach Nuno Espirito Santo said there are "so many problems that we have to solve" after a difficult start to the season but denied Harry Kane continues to be affected by his failed move to Manchester City.

Spurs have suffered consecutive 3-0 Premier League defeats to Crystal Palace and Chelsea with Kane a peripheral figure in both matches.

Nuno has also had to contend with a variety of issues including a lengthy injury list and three players -- Cristian Romero, Giovani Lo Celso and Davinson Sanchez -- breaking club rules to represent their countries during the recent international break.

In the immediate aftermath of Sunday's defeat to Chelsea, Nuno said there were a variety of "problems" to contend with and when speaking on Tuesday afternoon ahead of Spurs' Carabao Cup third round trip to his former club Wolves, the 47-year-old was asked to elaborate.

"'Problems' that are public," he began. "'Problems' is the situation that the momentum that we are," he said. "'Problems' is what we suffer during the international break.

"'Problems' is the absence of players. 'Problems' is that we have to improve the level of performance. 'Problems' is we concede goals from set-pieces, that we played so good in the first half and then we are not able to sustain. So many problems that we have to solve."

08.30 BST: Barcelona coach Ronald Koeman is expected to remain in charge for Thursday's trip to Cadiz, but the club are exploring options to replace him, sources told ESPN.

Koeman's position was further weakened by Monday's 1-1 draw at Camp Nou against Granada in LaLiga, which followed last week's 3-0 defeat to Bayern Munich in the Champions League.

Sources explain that president Joan Laporta held an hour long emergency meeting with his board of directors after the Granada game as the doubts regarding Koeman's suitability continue.

However, the lack of alternatives available is preventing Laporta from making a rash decision before Barca travel to Cadiz, where they lost in the league last season. The president doesn't want an interim option, someone to come in for a few months or until the end of the season; he would like to appoint someone capable of building a long-term project at the club.

play
1:34

Just how important is Sadio Mane for Liverpool?

Shaka Hislop speaks after Sadio Mane scored his 100th goal for Liverpool in a 3-0 win over Crystal Palace.

PAPER GOSSIP

- If Bayern Munich seek to bring in Bayer Leverkusen attacking midfielder Florian Wirtz, they will need to pay at least €100m, according to AS. The 18-year-old's contract runs through 2026, but the report states that a move could happen in 2023. While Bayern reportedly has a presumptive agreement with Hans Wirtz, Florian's father and agent, it is still likely that any club signing the youngster will need to pay a hefty sum. And Bayern could also have a problem persuading Wirtz to join them even if they do offer enough to turn Leverkusen heads because the player has already admitted that he always dreamed of playing for Barcelona when he was growing up and "that hasn't changed."

- Dean Henderson has asked for a January loan move away from Manchester United, as has been reported by the Sun. The Old Trafford academy graduate had been aiming to become the Red Devils' No. 1 goalkeeper, but suffered from the effects of a COVID-19 bout and was left unable to play. With David de Gea taking his chance to show he should be Ole Gunnar Solskjaer's main man -- notably saving Mark Noble's late penalty in win over West Ham United -- Henderson is now looking for a temporary move to get more minutes.

- Alexis Sanchez will be allowed to leave Internazionale during the January transfer window, as has been reported by Calciomercato. The Chile international winger, who is yet to start a game for Inter this term, is said to favour Marseille, Real Betis and Sevilla as his next destination upon leaving San Siro.

- During his loan spell from AC Milan to Torino, Tommaso Pobega has impressed so much that Il Toro are already trying to sign him permanently, reports Calciomercato. However, there is currently frustration for the Serie A side, as there is no option in the loan deal to make it a permanent one. Still, they are hoping to open up negotiations.

- West Ham United have confirmed that Winston Reid has left the club by mutual consent, after an 11-year stay with the Hammers. This agreement will leave the 33-year-old defender free to find a new club where he can get game time, having spent time on loan at Sporting Kansas City and Brentford last term.

- Free agent Clement Grenier has had interest from all across Europe, especially Italy and Spain, after leaving Stade Rennais, reports Foot Mercato. There has also been contact with Ligue 1 teams and the midfielder is said to be of interest to clubs in Major League Soccer and in Qatar, but the 30-year-old would need to wait until January, which could prove too long for him.