LIVE Transfer Talk: Barcelona president rules out January Neymar bid

play
Barcelona President rules out January move for Neymar (0:45)

Barcelona's President Josep Bartomeu admitted the club were trying to sign Neymar from PSG in the summer but wont be making a move for him in January. (0:45)

The Premier League transfer window has closed, but the rest of Europe remains open for business until Monday. Plus, it's never too late to look forward to January! Click here to view the latest transfers and keep up to date with the newest gossip below.

All the major completed transfers | European transfer review

Barca rule out January move for Neymar

Neymar's on-off-off-on switch to Spain dominated the headlines for the majority of the summer, but Barcelona president Josep Maria Bartomeu told reporters that the Brazilian is not part of Barca's recruitment plans in January.

No, honestly. Bartomeu stated that Barcelona have no interest in making a move for Neymar in January, despite the incessant speculation linking the player with a return to the Camp Nou.

- Champions League group stage: All you need to know
- Europa League group stage: All you need to know

"He's not in the plans for January," Bartomeu said. "Barcelona couldn't meet PSG's demands [this summer]. Barcelona never offered players for Neymar, it was PSG that asked for them. We did everything possible to sign him. It's a fact that Neymar asked PSG to negotiate only with Barcelona. Lionel Messi didn't tell me to sign Neymar, that's a myth. The players don't have a say in signings."

So there you go. Neymar isn't coming back. For the time being at least.

In addition to his Neymar revelations, Bartomeu has confirmed that Messi can walk away from the club -- for nothing -- at the end of the penultimate season of his contract.

"Messi signed until 2021," he said. "It was agreed that at the end of the penultimate season he is at liberty to leave for free. He has earned that freedom to decide his future, but he is very cule and I am calm. Xavi, Iniesta and Puyol had the same clause. We couldn't give Messi a different clause, but I repeat, I am in no doubt he will stay for many years."

LIVE BLOG

20:15 BST: More Serie A rumours as Inter are now getting into the race for Fiorentina's winger Federico Chiesa, according to Calciomercato (via Corriere dello Sport). The 21-year-old has been linked with a move to Juventus but was blocked by Fiorentina's ownership.

It seems as though Chiesa will demand the transfer as he is unhappy, with the Nerazzurri now joining the chase.

19:00 BST: Fabian Ruiz is garnering attention from Real Madrid, but Napoli are trying to fend off interest for their Spanish player.

Madrid failed to sign the Spain international last year for €45m but Calicomercato report that Los Blancos will now come back.

Ruiz has three caps for his national side, and Napoli are looking at a contract extension for him.

15.00 BST: Roma midfielder Henrikh Mkhitaryan has revealed why he made the switch from Arsenal to Italy on loan.

play
1:55

Man United's 'lack of superstars' a cause for concern

Steve Nicol explains how much blame should be placed on Ole Gunnar Solskjaer after winning only one league game in the last nine.

14.23 BST: Former Liverpool striker Bobby Duncan got off to a winning start on his Fioentina debut just days after making the switch from Anfield on European deadline day, coming on as a second half substitute the side's 1-0 win over Perugia on Friday.

The 18-year-old striker sported the No. 26 shirt as he came off the bench for his Serie A debut, having previously been thought to have been a fringe player for the Italian side.

Duncan left Liverpool after a controversial final week at the club, with the player's agent Saif Rubie claiming sporting director Michael Edwards of "mentally bullying and destroying the life of a young man" after the club rejected loan offers from Fiorentina and FC Nordsjaelland.

13.00 BST: Napoli have offered captain Lorenzo Insigne a new contract but with a decrease in wages, according to Corriere dello Sport.

The 28-year-old Italy international, who picked up a muscle injury in Napoli 4-3 loss Serie A defeat to champions Juventus last weeked, has been offered a contract renewal by the club with the European transfer window having closed on Monday.

11.49 BST: Arsenal youngster Eddie Nketiah has enjoyed an explosive start to the season, scoring three goals at the start of his loan spell with Leeds and bagging a brace for the England under-21s in Turkey on Friday night. However, the striker has revealed he ignored the request of Arsenal coach Unai Emery for him to stay at the Emirates in favour of first-team football out on loan for 2019-20.

"The manager wanted me to stay so it's really confidence-boosting for me that he had me in his plans," Nketiah said. "But I felt like it was a good step for me to come to Leeds. I hope it's a good year that can leave me in good stead going back to Arsenal to fight for a place. There were a lot of options, there were options for me to go to Germany but me, my family and the club decided Leeds was the best place."

11.19 BST: Javier Tebas, the president of La Liga, reckons that Neymar is stuck at Paris Saint-Germain for the rest of his career unless he takes a pay cut.

"In view of the market, Neymar will retire at PSG unless he lowers his salary and also his PSG claims," Tebas said. "The problem of not coming back now [to Barcelona] has to do with his own departure to PSG. It was an off-market transfer, it was only possible to happen with 'traps' to increase sponsorships. When you do it out of the market, it is impossible to sell again at this price."

10.41 BST: There will be no transfer this summer for the legendary Samuel Eto'o, who has announced he is hanging up his boots at the age of 38. The striker, who won 118 caps with Cameroon, most notably played for Real Madrid, Barcelona and Inter Milan. He left Qatar SC earlier this year.

He said on Instagram: "The end. Towards a new challenge. Thank you all, big love."

10.05 BST: Some more news from Spain, with Sport reporting that Real Madrid will make a move to sign Kylian Mbappe from Paris Saint-Germain next summer. They are going to have to dig deep to sign possibly the best young player in the game.

09.30 BST: The window might have closed, but that doesn't stop the rumour mill from turning. Stay with us on this international Saturday!

Juve target Spurs duo

Juventus are looking to bring in Spurs pair Toby Alderweireld and Christian Eriksen on free transfers, according to the Daily Mail.

Juve are renowned for picking up bargains, and snapping up the North London pair for nothing would appeal to those who control the purse strings in Turin. That said, the Daily Mail report that the Serie A giants may face competition from Inter for Alderweireld.

Inter are understood to have made contact with the player's agents already and the paper claims that the Italian side and Spurs are ready to do business ... sooner rather than later. The chances of Eriksen making a move to Italy remain a little slimmer.

Man City to poach Skriniar from Inter

Manchester City are eyeing defensive reinforcements and are focusing on Inter Milan's Milan Skriniar, according to Calciomercato.

Pep Guardiola's side tried to get the Slovakia international during the summer but were rebuffed by the Nerazzurri.

With the loss of Aymeric Laporte to injury, City may look to bolster their backline. Skriniar can provide that for the Premier League champions.

Tap-ins

- Danny Simpson is training with West Brom as he attempts to find a new club. The Premier League winner left Leicester in the summer and has been on the lookout for a fresh challenge and now the Sun reports that the Hawthorns is his favoured location after struggling to find another club, either in England or overseas.

- The Daily Mail reports that agents are circling around Marcus Rashford, who has previously been managed by his mother, Melanie. The paper report that Paul Stretford -- of Wayne Rooney fame -- is one of a host of agents keen on bringing the misfiring Manchester United striker on board, despite his underwhelming start to the season at Old Trafford. That said, the paper claims that Rashford is currently ignoring all the attempts to bring him under new management.