Paulo Dybala: Juventus barred me from playing in 2016 Olympic tournament

Paulo Dybala says he regrets not being chosen for Argentina's Copa America Centenario squad this summer because Juventus had already barred him from participating in the upcoming Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro.

The 22-year-old Dybala was one of biggest names left off Gerardo Martino's final 23-man squad for the Copa despite leading Juve to a fifth straight Serie A title and second straight domestic double this season.

The former Palermo man has scored 23 goals over all competitions in his first season with the Bianconeri and appeared set for a summer call-up of some kind, with Dybala admitting he was counting on a trip to the United States since Juve had no intentions of making him available in Brazil.

"I regret not having been called up for the Copa America because I already knew the club would not release me for Rio," Dybala told DirecTV on Thursday.

"I wanted to be in the United States, but you have to respect the coach's decision.

"It is difficult to form an attack with all these phenomena."

Dybala, who is counted among the best young players in world football, was recently the target of a reported €70-80 million offer from Real Madrid.

Though his club reportedly turned down the lucrative offer, Dybala was adamant he has no intention of leaving the Turin club.