Demons crush Magpies at Victoria Park

Kate Hore (left) and Elise O'Dea of the Demons celebrates a goal during the 2019 NAB AFLW Round 02 match between the Collingwood Magpies and the Melbourne Demons. Michael WIllson/AFL Media/Getty Images

Collingwood registered the equal lowest score in AFLW history on Saturday as they suffered a 17-point loss to a dominant Melbourne side at Victoria Park.

In what was a dark day for the Magpies, who have started a season 0-2 for the third year in a row, they were also held scoreless in the middle two quarters, losing 3.8 (26) to 1.3 (9).

Despite playing in perfect conditions, they had to wait until the 13th of the final term for their only goal.

The day was soured further for Collingwood with vice-captain Emma Grant injuring a shoulder in the first half and watching the remainder of the game sporting a sling.

Melbourne dominated throughout and probably should have won by a bigger margin as they convincingly won the disposals (208-133), contested possessions (113-79), inside 50s (31-12), contested marks (12-3) and marks inside 50 (7-0).

They were led superbly by co-captain Elise O'Dea who racked up 26 disposals, five tackles and a goal, while vice-captain Karen Paxman (18 disposals and four behinds) could have been best on ground if she was more accurate.

Ruckman Lauren Pearce (16 touches and one goal), Lily Mithen and Tyla Hanks embossed a strong collective effort.

Defender Ash Brazill (23 disposals and five marks) was clearly Collingwood's best while Mikala Cann (11 tackles) and captain Steph Chiocci toiled hard.

Melbourne recorded the first six inside 50s of the match, but they let Collingwood off the hook with just a pair of behinds Paxman to show for their efforts as both sides headed into quarter-time level on two points apiece.

Paxman put the Demons' noses back in front in the second quarter with her third and fourth behinds and after 29 minutes of playing time, O'Dea finally broke the goal drought shortly before Pearce converted a set shot to give the visitors a 14-point half-time lead.

A Hanks set shot early in the final term sealed the deal for the Dees while Sarah Dargan finally booted the Magpies' major shortly before the final siren.