Cameron Bancroft: 'Self-explanatory' that bowlers were aware of ball-tampering tactics in Newlands Test

Cameron Bancroft cuts a sombre figure Gallo Images/Getty Images

Cameron Bancroft has conceded there had to be wider knowledge of Australia's ball-tampering tactics against South Africa in the Newlands Test than the punished trio of himself, David Warner and Steven Smith.

Speaking to the Guardian interviewer Donald McRae in Durham where he is playing county cricket, Bancroft admitted under questioning that it was "self-explanatory" that bowlers in the Test team had to be aware the ball was being tampered with.

"Yeah, look, all I wanted to do was to be responsible and accountable for my own actions and part. Yeah, obviously what I did benefits bowlers and the awareness around that, probably, is self-explanatory," Bancroft said. "I guess one thing I learnt through the journey and being responsible is that's where the buck stops [with Bancroft himself]. Had I had better awareness I would have made a much better decision."

When pressed further, he replied: "Uh… yeah, look, I think, yeah, I think it's pretty probably self-explanatory."

On Saturday night*, Cricket Australia clarified that the governing body was still open to hearing and investigating any new information brought to light about the Newlands incident, whether from Bancroft or anyone else.

"CA has maintained all along that if anyone is in possession of new information in regards to the Cape Town Test of 2018, they should come forward and present it," a CA spokesman said. "The investigation conducted at the time was detailed and comprehensive. Since then, no one has presented new information to CA that casts doubt on the investigation's findings."

While levying heavy penalties on Bancroft (nine months), Warner and Smith (one year each, with Warner banned from holding any leadership positions for life) for their roles in ball-tampering, CA had ring-fenced the matter away from the rest of the team, although head coach Darren Lehmann resigned a few days later after seeing the tearful press conferences of the players upon their early returns to Australia.

In March 2019, former chief executive Kevin Roberts had this to say about that prospect, while defending the initial investigation conducted by the former CA head of integrity, Iain Roy, between the Cape Town and Johannesburg Tests: "If they've got any concerns about ball-tampering or any concerns about any integrity issue in the game, we've invited them to report that through our anonymous integrity hotline or through other means that are available to them.

"We haven't had any such reports, so we won't jump at shadows, but if anyone does report concerns about any integrity matter prior to ball-tampering or whatever it may be, we're serious about addressing that, and we have a process to address it. We're really serious about addressing any unresolved issues and we're sincere in the way we're going about that. So if there are any reports or allegations as opposed to innuendo, then we will investigate that thoroughly.

"Certainly the investigation needed to be conducted swiftly, we needed to fulfil our commitment to field a team against South Africa the following week, and we didn't know whether we'd need to fly 11 new players in to fill that team or no new players. The ultimate answer was somewhere in between. So the investigation was absolutely fit for purpose, but we haven't rested on those laurels. We've made repeated and extensive invitations to anyone to report any integrity matters or concerns about ball-tampering ever since."

Though Smith and Warner have returned to the team, Bancroft is now a long way from international consideration, having played the first two Tests of the 2019 Ashes series before being discarded and then struggling to recreate his best days in the Sheffield Shield in 2019-20. He performed better last summer but is not considered to be in the front rank of contenders for a place in the national side.

*0800GMT: The story was updated to include Cricket Australia's response