Saints star Marshall forced into isolation

play
Dunkley details cafe COVID scare (1:45)

Western Bulldogs midfielder Josh Dunkley tells the ESPN Footy Podcast that bad luck is to blame for having to isolate for 14 days due to coming into contact with a COVID-positive case. (1:45)

Star St Kilda ruckman Rowan Marshall is the latest AFL player forced into quarantine after attending a COVID-19 exposure site.

Marshall and teammate Darragh Joyce headed to last week's Wallabies Test against France at AAMI Park in Melbourne, before going to the Precinct Bar after the game.

The pair will miss Saturday's clash against West Coast and won't be able to leave isolation until July 27.

Saints chief operating officer Simon Lethlean said Marshall and Joyce, who last played in round eight, were cooperating with the health advice.

"We're grateful to the WA Government and Western Australian Police for permitting us to continue our training and we'll continue to work with them over the coming days," Lethlean said.

"As we know, Rowan and Darragh's situations are not unique and our thoughts are with everyone back in Victoria who currently is in lockdown."

The AFL is bracing for the possibility of more players being ordered to isolate as a result of the growing number of exposure sites in Victoria.

The Western Bulldogs, Sydney, GWS and Essendon have already had key players forced into quarantine.

Josh Dunkley (Bulldogs), Callum Mills (Swans) and Toby Greene (GWS) headline the star players who will need to miss multiple matches after going to the rugby union Test.

Meanwhile, the AFL are working out what to do with Adelaide and Port Adelaide after the South Australian government announced a statewide lockdown.

SA will go into a seven-day lockdown to combat a fresh COVID-19 outbreak that has placed further pressure on the AFL's bid to keep the season running as planned.

The Crows and Port were expecting to fly out of Adelaide to Melbourne on Tuesday but those plans could be on hold.

Port's match against Collingwood at Adelaide Oval on Friday night, which is set to be club stalwart Travis Boak's 300th game, remains up in the air.

SA will join Victoria and Greater Sydney in lockdowns, creating serious issues for the AFL to deal with approaching round 19.

Hawthorn are scheduled to play the Crows in Adelaide.

Relocating would give Port and the Crows the freedom to train more or less as normal, which they would not have been able to do in Adelaide.

But injured Port Adelaide midfielder Tom Rockliff was still puzzled by the proposed move.

"It's come about pretty quick. Just trying to comprehend the reason for leaving a city in lockdown, to go to another city in lockdown," Rockliff told Triple M Adelaide.

"Obviously the AFL want to push on and that's completely understandable, all players are willing to do that, but at what cost?

"Maybe we need to take a deep breath for a week, let everyone settle down."

The AFL has already swapped three matches scheduled for round 20 to this coming weekend to avoid some complexities of the coronavirus situation.

The league wants to push through as planned until the end of the season but does have a bye scheduled before the start of the finals.