Hawkins boots seven as Cats down Lions

Tom Hawkins has feasted on a lacklustre Brisbane, claiming another seven-goal haul as Geelong boosted their AFL finals chances with a 42-point win at GMHBA Stadium.

Hawkins continued his hot form as the Cats broke away in the second half to secure a 18.12 (120) to 11.12 (78) victory on Saturday.

The win lifts the Cats to fourth on the ladder and ensures they will finish the round within the eight regardless of other results.

A week after booting seven majors during Geelong's after-the-siren victory over Melbourne, Hawkins again ran riot at the Cats' home fortress.

The 30-year-old was suspended for intentional umpire contact in round seven but has booted 38 goals from 10 games since to sit second in the Coleman Medal count on 48.

Harris Andrews had the unenviable job of lining up against Hawkins in his first game since suffering a severe concussion against GWS in round 14.

Andrews held his own in the early going but was powerless to stop Hawkins in a second half where the Cats dominated the midfield battle.

Daniel Menzel and impressive first-year swingman Jack Henry each added three majors while Gary Ablett (38 disposals) and Patrick Dangerfield (26) were a class above in the midfield.

The win was soured by an ankle injury to gun backman Tom Stewart, whose ankle was trapped under the weight of Rhys Mathieson in a first-quarter tackle.

Stewart limped from the ground and played no further part in the game.

Brisbane arrived in Geelong having won three of their past four games but will be left to lament a poor second half in which they gave up 11 goals to six.

The Lions started in impressive fashion, challenging the Cats with their pressure and tackling as the sides went to quarter-time with scores level.

With Dayne Beams and Dayne Zorko firing, the Lions had plenty of chances but were too often their own worst enemy, missing easy set shots and committing too many turnovers.

Late goals to Scott Selwood and Hawkins handed the Cats an 11-point lead at halftime and the hosts blew the game open after the main break.

Dangerfield's third term was outstanding, aided by another strong ruck performance from a resurgent Rhys Stanley, while Hawkins piled on four second-half majors.