Blitzboks retain Sevens World Series title after dramatic weekend in Paris

The Springbok Sevens team capped off a great weekend for South African rugby when they successfully defended their World Rugby Sevens Series title after beating England 24-14 in the final of the Paris Sevens.

On Saturday, the Springboks beat England 42-39 in the first Test of their series at Ellis Park in Johannesburg.

The Blitzboks had to win the final tournament of the series to secure back-to-back titles after one of the most bizarre weekends of sevens rugby in the French capital. In the end, only two points separated South Africa and Fiji in the final log standings.

Fiji went into the 10th and final tournament of the year with a seven-point lead over the South Africans. But the Pacific islanders were beaten 22-19 by Kenya on the first day, which meant that they had to play England in the quarters. A win in that fixture would see them take the series title, but England did the Blitzboks a massive favour, beating the Fijians to put Neill Powell's team's destiny in their own hands.

The Blitzboks, riddled with injuries and looking very tired, were almost shocked by Spain in the quarter-finals. With the scores locked at 10-10 after the final hooter, they scored a try in extra-time to seal the deal.

The South Africans then beat New Zealand 24-12 in the semi-finals in a massive physical battle. Youngster Dewald Human, who replaced the injured Cecil Afrika and Branco du Preez, scored a brace in the last-four clash to help his team book a place in the final against England.

The Blitzboks wiped out a 14-7 deficit to beat England in a rain-swept final.

The South Africans took the lead via Werner Kok, but Oliver Lindsay-Hague and the lightening quick Dan Norton were quick to reply for the home team.

But the Blitzboks hit back shortly before halftime, with Dylan Oosthuizen scoring in the corner, before Justin Geduld converted the try from a tight angle.

Human gave the Boks the best start in the second half when he went over to the score, before the sharp-shooting Geduld converted the try and kicked a penalty to see off England.