NRL's no-fault policy will work insists Peter Beattie

ARL Commission Chairman Peter Beattie. Matt King/Getty Images

Peter Beattie has told the NRL's sponsors and fans that the league's no-fault policy will work, despite the game's season launch being overshadowed by drama.

The NRL launched their season at Icebergs in Bondi on Thursday night, just hours after Jack de Belin took the game to court over their decision to stand him down under the new rules.

The St George Illawarra lock earned brief reprieve on Thursday in the Federal Court, where the NRL admitted the rule was yet to be finalised - meaning he was not yet stood down.

But the NRL are adamant it will be enacted in the next 48 hours and de Belin's ban will be formalised, well before the matter returns to court next Thursday with the player challenging whether the rule can be made.

Regardless though, Beattie used his opening address at the launch to declare the new policy would work in front of the game's sponsors, fans and highest-profile players.

"You all know that we're taking a stand on player behaviour. We are determined as a game to grow up as a game," ARL Commission chairman Beattie said.

"Not just in terms of policy changes but rather a holistic strategy to improve our culture in the game.

"We do that because it is the right thing to do, and we do that because we value you as partners, we value you our players and we value our fans.

"The commission is absolutely determined to deliver on this.

"Let me just say to all of you: Give us a little bit of time, but the rule change we brought in - the no-fault rule - will work."

Beattie earlier on Thursday admitted to AAP his job was on the line over his determination to clean up the game's image, after he last week claimed the no-fault policy gave the league the power to fix its broken culture.

De Belin's sexual assault charge - which he has vigorously denied and pleaded not guilty to - is one of several dramas to have plagued the league this summer.

In total 15 players have either gone through the courts since the end of the 2018 regular season or have matters still outstanding, while the sex-tape scandal seemingly remains ongoing.

But Beattie said the new rule was the first of several measures taken to turn around the off-field issues.

"(Commissioner) Professor Megan Davis - who is an expert in this area - will look at our culture, look at the programs we've got, to make sure they are delivering what we want them to deliver to the game," he said.

"In addition to that, we will be spend $8 million a year on those cultural changes. To make certain that what has happened for a tiny percentage of players doesn't happen again."