Newcastle are well in the fight to lure Queensland representative Tim Glasby to the NRL club next season, according to coach Nathan Brown.
Glasby is believed to have all but signed off on a move to join the rebuild at the Knights at the end of the year when his contract with Melbourne expires.
Brown remains hopeful of adding some genuine starch to his forward pack.
"We'd like to think we're well in the fight there. I don't think anything's been official there at the moment, but we certainly haven't been a told 'no' - that's for sure," Brown told reporters on Wednesday.
Glasby's possible signing comes after the club had missed out on recruiting another State of Origin star. Jarrod Wallace re-signed earlier this week with Gold Coast on a long-term deal.
Brown admitted the club were in the market for a power forward, and confirmed they had also been in negotiations with St George Illawarra prop Leeson Ah Mau.
However, it is understood Ah Mau has made a return home in Auckland a priority.
"That was something he expressed in the meeting we had with him. Him and his wife have got a property there and family there. They've got a young one," Brown said.
"Their choice was going to be fairly family-based, if that option was available."
Brown insisted that while management had money to spend in their salary cap, they would not make any rash decisions with recruitment.
He pointed out how the club signed halfback Mitchell Pearce late in the off-season.
"We're certainly not going to go and all of a sudden undo the work being done to help us move forward and spend the money in the wrong areas just to try and get a kill," he said.
"Obviously, the market is getting skinnier in front-rowers at this stage but there's always changes to coaches, salary-cap pressure and different whatnot.
"We just have to be patient until the right things come along."