Matildas coach Alen Stajcic sacked after FFA review

Alen Stajcic has been stood down from his position as Matildas head coach less than five months before the start of the Women's World Cup.

Football Federation Australia chief executive David Gallop confirmed the sacking at a press conference in Sydney on Saturday.

"Following a meeting of the FFA Board last night, we've today terminated the employment of Matildas head coach Alen Stajcic," Gallop said.

"The decision was based on the findings of two confidential surveys. The first one done in conjunction with the PFA (Professional Footballers Australia union), and the second one done in conjunction with Our Watch as well as discussions with players, staff and the coaches themselves.

"We no longer feel Alen is the right person to lead the team and the staff."

Gallop said the FFA Board would look to replace Stajcic for the Cup of Nations and preparation for the 2019 FIFA Women's World Cup in June and July.

In addition to Saturday's press conference, the FFA released a statement saying the organisation is "committed to providing the best possible environment for the Westfield Matildas and this change is being made with that objective in mind."

Stajcic was informed of his sacking after being called into FFA headquarters on Saturday morning.

The ABC reported that disharmony between some players and coaching staff had prompted the two-month review.

The race is now on to find an interim coach before the inaugural Cup of Nations tournament, which starts at the end of February, and for preparations for the Women's World Cup in France, which starts in June.

Stajcic had been in charge of the Matildas since 2014 after Hesterine de Reus was sacked following a player revolt.

The 45-year-old oversaw runs to the quarter-finals of the 2015 World Cup and 2016 Olympics, as well as a rise to a fourth place in the FIFA rankings.