LeSean McCoy maintains innocence as NFL's probe continues

play
McCoy not worried about allegations against him (2:49)

LeSean McCoy explains he is not concerned about the domestic abuse allegations against him because he knows he has done nothing wrong. (2:49)

Buffalo Bills running back LeSean McCoy maintained his innocence Wednesday, more than six months after a July 10 home invasion at his Atlanta-area house that injured his ex-girlfriend and led to several accusations against him.

Appearing on ESPN's First Take, McCoy said the NFL continues to investigate him after his former girlfriend, Delicia Cordon, claimed McCoy directed the home invasion. Cordon, whom McCoy was attempting to evict from the home at the time, said she had jewelry forcefully taken from her that McCoy had previously asked her to return and added there were no signs of forced entry.

An NFL spokesperson confirmed Wednesday that the matter remains under review. McCoy played the entire 2018 season after the allegations surfaced.

"They're still going through it," McCoy said Wednesday. "They're investigating me and the situation. I'll just be honest with them."

Police in Milton, Georgia, have not named any suspects in the case. An inquiry with the department spokesperson Wednesday received an automated response, dated Oct. 5, that the incident remained under active investigation and that McCoy had yet to speak to detectives. Cordon offered a $40,000 reward in October for information leading to the arrest of the intruder.

"Like I have stated before, I have nothing to do with that," McCoy said Wednesday. "When I heard the news, it hurt me that I was accused of something like that. I think anybody that really knows me, they know I'm not that type of person."

Cordon filed a lawsuit in Georgia state court in August seeking more than $50 million in damages against McCoy and his friend, Tamarcus Porter, for their alleged role in the attack. In the filings, Cordon also accused McCoy of physical abuse against her, against his son and against his dog.

The mother of McCoy's son, Stephanie Maisonet, filed an affidavit in the case supporting Cordon's claim of child abuse. Cordon said during a September news conference that other women contacted her with similar claims of physical abuse by McCoy.

"I'm a great father," McCoy said Wednesday. "If you really know me as a parent, as a player, as a person, you know I have nothing to do with anything like that. My team, my organization, for them guys to stand behind me and attest to tell you what type of person I really am. I've been playing this game since I've been 8, 6 years old -- a young boy. I love football. The two things that I loved are football and my son -- and my reputation. I would never jeopardize them things.

"I've never been involved with anything like that, ever. I've never hit a woman. I've never put my hands on a woman. I never beat my son. All that stuff is nonsense. At the end, we'll figure it out and you'll see the truth."

Cordon painted a different picture of McCoy during her September news conference.

"To be clear, I believe LeSean McCoy was involved in the attack," she said. "The LeSean McCoy that I know behind closed doors is totally different than the LeSean McCoy in front of cameras."

McCoy was first accused of orchestrating the attack in July, when Cordon's friend, Mia Boykin, posted photos of Cordon's bruised face on Instagram and said McCoy was responsible.

"I think in this day and age, when somebody says anything -- especially social media -- it's a visual thing. Everybody just believes it," McCoy said Wednesday.

In addition to denying the allegations publicly and in legal filings, McCoy moved to dismiss the lawsuit but was denied by a judge in December. Porter moved the case to federal court in Atlanta earlier this month and made a motion to dismiss it; Cordon moved last week to send the case back to state court. A federal judge had yet to rule on either motion as of Wednesday.

McCoy, 30, said Wednesday he has not worried about his playing future as a result of the accusations. Bills general manager Brandon Beane has maintained that McCoy remains part of the team's plans for the 2019 season.

"I'm not [worried]," McCoy said Wednesday. "I'm not at all. I know what type of person I am. I [just have to] wait and everything will reveal itself at the end.

"People can believe what they want; I mean this, at the bottom of my heart, I had nothing to do with it. I can't dive too much into it because it's an ongoing investigation; it's active. But like I said, if you know me, you know what type of person I am. I've never been in trouble with the law my whole career, my whole life. I have two good parents at home that raised me the right way and my older brother is a good role model for me."

Pressed Wednesday on whether he should be concerned about potential league discipline, McCoy related the latest accusations against him to a 2016 bar fight in which two off-duty Philadelphia police officers accused McCoy, Porter and two other friends of injuring them. Philadelphia prosecutors later declined to press charges and the NFL cleared McCoy.

"How concerned should I be?" McCoy said Wednesday. "I had an incident with the police and they said that I beat up these cops and did all this stuff. They showed these pictures with these peoples' faces all beat up. They investigated everything and nothing happened, right. You know what happens? They don't say a word. 'LeSean McCoy didn't do it.' They just let it go. You know why? Because the story is better and bigger when it's going on. 'He did this, he did that.' But when I was cleared, nobody ever came to my defense. 'He didn't do it.'

"I'm not about to sit here and try to fight for the public's opinion, because you can't win that. [The NFL] has a job to do. They make tons of money, so they gonna do what they gonna do. But you look at all the allegations with different people, when they're acquitted or they don't do it and they investigate it, they never even mention it at all."

McCoy and his friends were sued by the two officers later in 2016. The case was sent to mediation last year and a resolution is expected within six to eight weeks, the officers' attorney, Fred Perri, said Wednesday.

"I'm a good person," McCoy said. "I know who I am. That's the reason why my team fought behind me in a time like that. ... I don't have a bunch of baggage in the eye of the police or doing something wrong, breaking the law. I've never broken the law, ever.

"Being in the situation, I've learned a lot. I'll see something on social media and be like, 'Dang, he did that?' And then I'll have to catch myself because I don't know the whole story. I don't know."