Hawks edge out Swans for top four spot

James Worpel celebrates with teammates. Cameron Spencer/Getty Images

Hawthorn mounted a stirring second-half fightback to secure a top four spot with a nine-point win over Sydney at the SCG on Saturday.

The Hawks trailed by 19 at halftime but kicked nine goals to four in the second half to win 12.11 (83) to 10.14 (74) and record a sixth straight win.

The Swans suffered two blows before the game with stars Lance Franklin and Luke Parker both pulling out with groin strains.

It was the Hawks' fifth consecutive win at the SCG, where the Swans have lost six of their 11 games this season.

Sydney inched ahead by nine points in the final quarter but the Hawks kicked the last three goals of the game through Harry Morrison, Jordan Henderson and Luke Breust to secure the precious win.

Opportunistic Hawks small forward Paul Puopolo kicked three goals and Henderson and Jack Gunston two each.

The loss means fifth-placed Sydney are likely to drop one or two spots depending on the result of Sunday's Melbourne-GWS game at the MCG.

Hawthorn's Brownlow Medal favourite Tom Mitchell was contained to nine first half possessions, but finished with 24, the same as his direct opponent George Hewett.

The Swans kicked the first two goals of the game, but Hawthorn bagged the next two to lead by a point at the end of a first-quarter arm wrestle.

Sydney's trademark pressure was prominent as they dominated the second quarter.

The home team slammed on the first four goals and 27 points of the term and led by 19 at halftime.

But the tables turned in the third quarter as the Hawks ramped up their intensity.

They kicked four goals to two and got within one point before ending the term six behind.

Hawthorn then showed greater composure down the stretch, kicking five goals to two in the last quarter.

Jake Lloyd tallied 31 touches for Sydney with Isaac Heney and Tom Papley each kicking two goals, while Liam Shiels led the Hawks possession getters with 26.